Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Norton India coarse/fine stone

Posted by oldsailorsknives 
Norton India coarse/fine stone
September 12, 2016 01:45PM
Mail lady just brought me a brand new Norton IB8 stone. First thing I noticed was "Pre-Oiled" on the box. Second it is 6 oz heavier than my Crystolon JB8 stone. no chipped edges, nice smooth surface. added a couple drops of oil and touched up some kitchen blades. 3 or 4 passes per side on the grey, then 10 passes per side on the orange and all 3 blades were push cutting newsprint. a couple drops of oil, wipe with paper towel and stone looks brand new. I like the 8" length when working with larger knives.
I have several 6" combo India stones, but they were all rescue puppies that had had hard lives as lapping stones and wide files.
a 11-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 1 IM2 is now on my Christmas list.

scott
[www.etsy.com]
Re: Norton India coarse/fine stone
September 12, 2016 03:24PM
Scott,
Nice! The IB8 is a great stone.

"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
September 12, 2016 05:10PM
A true go to in my arsenal.
September 12, 2016 06:04PM
"The" sharpening stone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
September 12, 2016 07:03PM
It is a nice stone for sure. I like it a lot for low carbide steels.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
July 05, 2018 01:52AM
After 6/7 000 passes on the two sides mine India was in need of reconditioning - boy oh boy the coarse india is a challenge to work with - I started with 80 grit silicon carbide grain on glass and the results were almost not existing - just crushing and refining the grains. Quick jump to 16 and 46 grit aluminium oxide did the job but the large grains in second became fine dust with just the weight of the stone.

The fine side was "touched up" with 80 grit SiC for a two minutes and finished with 150 for a 10-15 seconds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login