Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re-ground Mora 2/0

Posted by jasonstone20 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re-ground Mora 2/0
September 18, 2016 07:27PM
I removed the single bevel on my Mora 2/0 (Mora 511 included for comparison):
[www.instagram.com]

I re-ground it by hand using the TASK Garden Hone, it took less than 30min, including a quick refinishing of the primary on the stones and a sharpening on a King 1k and Steelex/Woodstock 1k/6k, then Spyderco UF rod.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
Re: Re-ground Mora 2/0
September 19, 2016 04:52PM
Closer picture:
[www.instagram.com]

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
September 19, 2016 10:11PM
Nice job Jason. Do you prefer the convex grind to a flat grind?

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
September 20, 2016 12:49AM
Chum,
Not really. This was a proof-of-concept work. I wanted to see if I could get rid of the single bevel by hand. All my attempts to get a FFG by hand have all ended up convex. I like this zero-grind convex better than it was originally, but if I could get a FFG I would. Convex doesn't bother me, however. Neither do hollow grinds. I really like I full height hollow grind, like on my Ka-Bar Becker BK13. The single bevel isn't too bad either, if the stock is thin enough like the Mora 2/0 (2.5mm) or the even thinner 511 (2mm) I really don't notice it. It becomes noticeable with the Mora HighQ Robust at 3mm.

September 21, 2016 01:52AM
Chum,
I also tried to thin out my Wahoo Killer knife, and it also ended up convexed. The hollow grind was almost gone anyway, as it was my sharpening practice knife.

September 21, 2016 04:23AM
jasonstone20
Chum,
I also tried to thin out my Wahoo Killer knife, and it also ended up convexed. The hollow grind was almost gone anyway, as it was my sharpening practice knife.

You can always get more Wahoo Killers to practice on smiling smiley

Chumgeyser on Youtube
September 21, 2016 12:37PM
Chum,
Yes, I had a few of them at the time, but I gave them away. This is my last one. Nice knife.

October 10, 2016 01:22PM
Here's the Wahoo Killer, new vs convex regrind:
[www.instagram.com]

October 11, 2016 07:52PM
Do you notice any difference in cutting performance or ease of sharpening?

Chumgeyser on Youtube
October 11, 2016 10:50PM
I find it easier to just use a micro bevel or even just cut a new secondary into the bevel, rather than run a convex edge. You need a slightly different technique to sharpen the knife and keep the convex edge.