Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any experience hand cutting serrations?

Posted by tarantella 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Any experience hand cutting serrations?
October 14, 2016 12:45PM
Does anyone on the forum have experience hand-cutting serrations? I am thinking about getting some knives from goodwill and trying my hand at cutting serrations with a file.

The plan:

1. Put some some marker lines on the blade ( perpendicular to the edge).
2. Hacksaw a shallow kerf on the lines.
3. Use kerf to guide a chainsaw file.
Re: Any experience hand cutting serrations?
October 17, 2016 11:05PM
Sounds like a plan, it would be interesting. A lot of custom makers don't like doing serrations, so it will be interesting if you figure out why.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
Re: Any experience hand cutting serrations?
October 19, 2016 08:11AM
Make a clamp like the slipjoint makers use to do their filing of bolsters as a guide. I have this photo pinned, but for the love of me cannot remember the maker. Think it is Pena and one of his Ti Lannys clips. This is what I would do if I wanted to do serrations, granted I would do similar to that on Chris Reeve. I remember reading somewhere Ernest Emerson did his with a dremel at one stage years ago while he was still working out the garage.