Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sharpening CPM10v... (a DK video)

Posted by Chum 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Sharpening CPM10v... (a DK video)
February 02, 2017 04:42AM
I asked DK (knivessavelives) how long it would take him to destress the edge of his Spyderco K2 in 10v, and get it to pushcutting newsprint sharpness. Here was his answer...

Chumgeyser on Youtube
E-nep throwing Brotherhood. Charter Member
Re: Sharpening CPM10v... (a DK video)
February 03, 2017 03:19AM
What's with the tiny stones? If I were trying to sharpen something as quickly as possible I wouldn't use tiny stones. I realize that the reduced surface area increases pressure but there's no way that's cutting as fast as a 200 x 75 or 50 mm bench stone of any composition would.
February 03, 2017 04:26PM
HBD,
If you hold the stone in your hand, you don't seem to need a larger stone. Larger stones seem to be most useful for setting on a table or a bench. I don't know why this is, the straight razor guys have noted the same thing.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
February 03, 2017 07:38PM
I tend to hold smaller stones (6-8" x 2"winking smiley in my off hand and I still think they're quicker in that type of usage. I can move faster with less arm fatigue on a big stone, and I don't fear for my digits' safety as much as with a 3-4" stone.
February 03, 2017 08:20PM
HBD,
The Lansky stones he is using also have a handle/base on them, which helps a lot with small stones. On knives around 4" and smaller, small stones, especially with handles/bases, are very usable.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
DK
February 04, 2017 11:04PM
i've been using this same exact lansky stone for ten years +, 3 of which were without the handle as it fell off till i had some

spare epoxy laying around to glue the handle back onto it. i use this stone for 99.9% of the sharpening i've done on my own

knives. i have had to replace the 600 grit stone three times but, it wears slowly as well. i sharpen my knives virtually every

time after i use my knife for any cutting so i don't have to spend loads of time sharpening a severely damaged knife.

between these two stones i have removed minor chipping from cutting open 3 tin cans in as much or less the time it took to

do this video with removing all the chipping each time. i find this 10v sharpens up quite like the 420v in the J.P. Holmes

custom hunter chum sent me. i do believe the narrowness of the stone and the increased pressure contributes to the cutting

speed.

i've used my winco 12" stone to cut loads of "supersteels" very quickly with success. in fact i'd say it even cuts better than or

at least comparable to the norton alox economy stones i've used over the years.

"knives save lives" on youtube
all i want for christmas is more arm hair -DK-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2017 11:07PM by DK.
February 26, 2017 04:14PM
DK: You also sharpen really well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.