Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Razor edge sharpening stones

Posted by bricklayer 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Razor edge sharpening stones
December 12, 2017 02:20AM
Any info on the Razor edge ultra fine grit stone? I looking for something a little finer than a fine India.Ive read on various forums that the razors edge ultrafine stone is finer than a india and it was around 800 grit. So i got curious and emailed the company and asked if they were made from Sic or aluminum oxide and the grit rating. First off they wouldn't tell me the material they are made of. They said the coarse was 100 grit and the fine was 400 grit. I do think the fine India is around 320 grit, so i dont think it would be worth 40 bucks for only a 60 grit difference in stones?? I dont understand why they call the fine an (ultrafine).
Re: Razor edge sharpening stones
December 13, 2017 04:30PM
There is not a lot of info on these stones. If you do get a set, I keep meaning to at times, I would be very interested to hear about your experiences.
December 13, 2017 09:50PM
I talked by email to the razor edge company. They said the ultrafine is 400 grit and the coarse is 100 grit. Still confused though i talked with a guy over at blade forums user name heavyhanded, He stated that the RE stone was around 700 grit, and was indeed finer that the india stone. So for 45dallors i would hate to take a gamble on this stone, because i may end up with a stone that is equal in grit to the india or dreadfully more coarse.
December 13, 2017 10:29PM
Bricklayer, it just depends on your curiosity vs. your cash. Does the curiosity override the money in this case? Also, it could be that the abrasive particle size is very similar but other aspects of the stone makes it behave entirely differently than a Norton India.
December 13, 2017 10:50PM
Not telling you what Abrasives they use is like a clothing store not telling you whether the item is genuine or imitation leather. It makes no sense.

………………………………………………………………………
[www.youtube.com]
December 14, 2017 02:27AM
Regarding the Norton india stones. The vintage bear brand fine india is alot finer than the newer fine indias, id say twice as fine. I have a 4x2×1/2 and id say its more closer to 600 grit.
December 15, 2017 03:18PM
bricklayer
....He stated that the RE stone was around 700 grit, and was indeed finer that the india stone. .

I would be very cautious of such statements as :

-it isn't at all easy to actually measure grit

-there is much more to how a stone sharpens than the grit

If someone doesn't understand the second, the answer to the first is jibberish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 05:06PM by CliffStamp.
December 15, 2017 08:32PM
CliffStamp
bricklayer
....He stated that the RE stone was around 700 grit, and was indeed finer that the india stone. .

I would be very cautious of such statements as :

-it isn't at all easy to actually measure grit

-there is much more to how a stone sharpens than the grit

If someone doesn't understand the second, the answer to the first is jibberish.
Yes i agree! I wish their were a 600 grit Sic carbide oil stone on the market. They maybe, but i not aware of one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2017 05:06PM by CliffStamp.
December 17, 2017 11:20PM
I seen a video of Dronco sharpening stones. Are they anygood?
December 22, 2017 07:24PM
Refusing to state the abrasive type is bizarre. When receiving grit ratings from people, whether measured ones from manufacturers or assessments from users ("works like a _______ grit stone"winking smiley specifying the grit standard is absolutely necessary, or else using micron size. The various standards are fairly close to one another at the coarse end of the spectrum, but vary greatly as you move into the higher grits.
December 22, 2017 07:39PM
I was thinking, that a DMT 600, 1200, Soft Arkansas, or a Spyderco Medium Ceramic might work to get you in the Medium Finish range you are looking for. Maybe even 600 grit SiC wet/dry sandpaper.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
December 22, 2017 10:08PM
bricklayer
I wish their were a 600 grit Sic carbide oil stone on the market. They maybe, but i not aware of one.

Norton makes silicon carbide stones of various grits, and you can buy silicon carbide stones of essentially any grit (and bond) from Congress Tools.