Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Convex stone (?)

Posted by CliffStamp 
Convex stone (?)
December 26, 2017 06:24PM
This is from public correspondence (YT comment) :

I watched a video where dovo sharpens their razors on a convexed hone. In the vid, they use a coticule. But according to the guy who posted it, they have recently switched to Arkansas stone, because it is slower wearing.

Anyhow, I have tried this convexed surface, and in a word? Amazing. Particularly with stones that are prone to glazing, this convex surface is purely, simply, just better than a flat surface for sharpening knives.

1. The surface provides an even amount of bite on all spots, on straight or curved edges.

2. The surface is self-healing. If you create flat or low spots, the edges of this defect become slightly proud, so the most aggressive and fastest wearing spot is the edge around the defect; the defect quickly erodes away from the outside in.

3. Burr formation is reduced and glazing does not occur. I think there's two effects going on. A. There are no flat spots to glaze over and burnish metal B. The continuous curve means only small spots of metal are in contact with the stone, which means there is more room for swarf to form. The stone has room to cut, rather than burnish. And there's room (and high enough contact pressure) for highly worn particles to pop out of the stone.

Anyways, I have a soft ark that glazes quickly. Convexing it has turned it into a champ. I dug out my very first hard ark stone which was long ago relegated to a junk bin for its propensity to glaze. It is now a champ, too. I have slightly convexed trans ark and small ceramic hones, and it is amazing on these stones, too. I am now doing the final honing my straight razor on (a very) slightly convexed ceramic, and? And nothing. It works as good as ever, even on a straight. But no shiny glazed streaks form on the hone.

I am not sure what to make of this at this stage, interesting however.
Re: Convex stone (?)
December 26, 2017 11:19PM
Cliff,
Yes, it seems to be a new thing with the straight razor crowd. Not sure about the claims either.

"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
December 27, 2017 03:37AM
A formerly loaded and glazed stone that has been convexed is no longer a glazed and loaded stone.
It's a conditioned stone, albeit a crooked stone, freshly conditioned and cutting nicely nonetheless.

"Self healing"......... I don't even have a wild guess on that.
I keep reading the whole thing over and over, I just can't see anything that jumps out at me as being super logical.
December 27, 2017 08:57AM
J. Pierce,
That's exactly what I thought.

"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
March 06, 2018 05:25PM
Woo.

If you clean your stones and keep them flat you don’t have to worry about such things.

A unmaintained philips screwdriver that has rounded to the point it works as a hex but isn’t a new tool. It’s a tool that has had its definition of failure modified.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
March 28, 2018 10:03PM
video: [www.youtube.com]

This guy has a couple videos on using a convex stone and goes into some of the reasoning for it with straights. I'm not about to do that to one of my stones to test in.

It just seems it's like using a sharpening rod to me since the contact are will be reduces to the tangent point any way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login