Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spyderco Sharpmaker - The Ultimate Apex Setter!

Posted by jasonstone20 
Spyderco Sharpmaker - The Ultimate Apex Setter!
December 27, 2017 11:22AM
The Spyderco Sharpmaker is the best V-Stick/Crock Stick sharpening system I have used, and is arguably the best sharpening system. What I have found that it is unmatched in is the final finishing work, where the apex is set.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
Re: Spyderco Sharpmaker - The Ultimate Apex Setter!
January 01, 2018 10:59AM
I have a few other white ceramic hones, and I like the Spyderco's better. Under magnification they appear denser and finer than the other brands.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
January 01, 2018 11:11AM
The Sharpmaker is also the fastest sharpening system to use and also set up. If you add the diamond rods and the UF ones, you have a great sharpening system, arguably my favorite.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
January 02, 2018 07:44AM
The Sharpmaker is a great tool for doing your apexes with. It’s what I use for all of my touch ups on the microbevel. Very quick and easy, and it gives free topping edges rather easily.
me2
January 06, 2018 12:46PM
Agreed. I've used it exclusively for apexing for over a decade. I'll try some other methods, but I return to the 204 for a reliable way to set the apex at high sharpness. Knives that I want extra toothy get finished on the Norton Economy Fine. The only major change is switching from a 17/20 dps/microbevel to a 12/15. I have only one knife that still has a 17/20, and it is too thick to rebevel, and sees fairly rough use, so the higher angle is justified.
me2
January 08, 2018 07:00PM
Well, someone went and did it. My Tojiro petty knife was left in the sink drain to rust. I had previously given it a sharpening using a new technique; destress the edge, alternate single passes until light was gone (15 per side at Norton 220 water stone), alternate single passes to polish (30 passes per side at 1000 grit King water stone), alternate single passes to polish further (30 per side at 4000 King water stone), elevate angle slightly and alternate passes to prep for final grit (~2 degrees per side and ~ 10 passes per side on 4k King), and finally alternate passes to apply final edge (15 per side on 0.3 micron lapping film on aluminum base supplied with lapping films). I was rewarded with an edge that would sever a free hanging hair about 3/4" from the hold point. One of the sharpest edges I've produced, and no burr was harmed in the production.

All gone in one washing by the family. So, to get back to the 204, it was 15 passes per side on the 220 Norton, 20 per side on the 1k King, and alternating passes to about 15 per side on the 204 Medium and then Fine. Not quite as sharp, but much faster and would sever a hair about 3/8" to 1/2" from the hold point. I cannot imagine needing the ultrafine stones, but I want some.
January 09, 2018 07:37PM
me2,
Nice work. It took me some time to get the it where it didn't take as long to get a high sharpness egde. Plateau Sharpening makes it a lot faster.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
me2
January 10, 2018 07:04AM
I have not explored plateu sharpening much. Can you summarise? If its even faster, it'd be worth a shot.
January 10, 2018 08:41AM
me2
I have not explored plateu sharpening much. Can you summarise? If its even faster, it'd be worth a shot.

[m.youtube.com]

Cliff notes in the description that this was developed in order to sharpen knives for friends in two minutes or less. It took me a little practice to get it down, and I'm generally not careful enough to achieve an extremely high sharpness (true push cuts, catching hair above the skin, etc.) but it's simplified the process and I get good results on all my knives.
January 10, 2018 08:51AM
me2:

[www.spyderco.com]
[youtu.be]
[youtu.be]

Basically the same thing you did in this video:
[youtu.be] , and using the fine rods if you wanted.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2018 08:52AM by jasonstone20.
February 16, 2018 04:59PM
I broke down and ordered a Sharpmaker to try, I haven't received it yet.
I ordered the UF rods too.

But I also found these and ordered a set, hopefully for some nice toothy apexes.

[www.idahoners.com]

For whatever it's worth, they claimed 100-200 grit.
I'm hoping and assuming that it will wear in to around a 320 grit/40ish micron scratch pattern.
And if not, that's fine too.

But I thought somebody else might be interested in the Idahone offerings.
I've seen their stuff around before, but I know nothing about them.
So..... We shall soon see......

I would probably really like the diamond rods, but the cost per fractional square inch just turned me off.
But knowing myself as well as I do for this many years, it's safe to say that at some point I'll probably buy a set anyway.
February 19, 2018 07:38AM
Thanks for the tip J!

I haven't heard of Idohone either and may be interested in the coarse rods. The price does look reasonable and I'd like to hear how they work for you.

Congress Tools also sells triangular rods. Their silicon carbide Moldmaster stones are available in a bunch of grits and are dirt cheap. The downside is that they're a little short, the fit in the Sharpmaker slots is a bit loose, and the level of finish is comparatively low.

I still like them, but generally just hold them and freehand instead of using them in the Sharpmaker base. They do work for that though, they just have to be shimmed to hold them in place in the slots.

[www.congresstools.com]

-Nate
June 08, 2018 03:48PM
I just made a short YouTube about the Spyderco Sharpmaker:
[youtu.be]

Once again, thank you Sal!

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
sal
June 12, 2018 07:49AM
Hi Jason,

Thank you!

Just watched Cliff's video on our CBN rods. Great tutorial, thanx much, Cliff.

sal
October 29, 2019 05:55PM
The more I use the Sharpmaker, the more I believe that it is a must have for sharpening, especially with the diamond/CBN and UF stones.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login