Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wayne Goddard And The Aligned Wire Edge

Posted by jasonstone20 
Re: Wayne Goddard And The Aligned Wire Edge
July 29, 2019 07:25PM
I am really liking the Spyderco Medium Rod edge on the Benchmade Mini Griptillian 154CM. That might be a good edge finish given the carbide size and volume in that steel.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
July 31, 2019 09:16AM
I reprofiled the Spyderco Resilience to a edge angle closer to zero to see if I can improve performance and see how the edge behaves with the Crystolon M / India F finish.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
July 31, 2019 04:15PM
I am really liking the edge after I reprofiled it on the Spyderco Resilience. The blade seems to be twice as sharp now, and I really like the Norton Fine India edge, lots of cutting power and it still push cuts nicely. It also makes passing a HHT 3/4 much easier.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2019 04:17PM by jasonstone20.
July 31, 2019 09:05PM
I had an unexpected event with the Norton Fine India finish that I used on the Herder paring knife. The edge didn't last that long, only about a week and a half. I put a Vintage Smith's Tri-Hone Finish (SiC C, Soft Ark M, Hard Ark F) on the Herder paring knife to see if it will make a difference.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
July 31, 2019 10:54PM
Using the Spyderco Resilience since I reprofiled it I have noticed that the edge is a lot more coarse now. Cliff explained how this works a while ago, how lowering the angle (getting closer to a zero grind) allows the grit to act as a more coarse edge. This is how I run high polish edges that will still have decent slicing aggression.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
August 01, 2019 07:55AM
jasonstone20
I am really liking the edge after I reprofiled it on the Spyderco Resilience. The blade seems to be twice as sharp now, and I really like the Norton Fine India edge, lots of cutting power and it still push cuts nicely. It also makes passing a HHT 3/4 much easier.

I'm curious on the "twice as sharp" portion, what do you think is going on? Also, if it was passing an HHT 3/4 before and now it's doing the same, do you mean it's easier because it happens with less effort on your part to get it to cut (motion and the like), or that you can hold the hair from further away?
August 01, 2019 04:48PM
Luisknivacc,
Sorry if I wasn't clear. It wasn't passing a HHT 3/4 before, maybe a HHT 0 if I did my job. I could get the edge to tree-top arm hair, which is about a HHT-0 with a 20* DPS angle. I need to measure it, but I probably halved the edge angle to about 10 DPS*. The edge feels super aggressive and sharp, sort of what an edge feels like when it has a large burr on it. I am measuring sharpness by ease of cutting. The 10* DPS just goes through material a lot easier, and the edge seems to be a lot more coarse. The F India feels like the M Crystolon.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
August 02, 2019 03:55PM
Ok, I just measured the angle on the Spyderco and it is 15* DPS, the Benchmade is 15* DPS also. I guess the rule of 15 comes into play.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
August 06, 2019 07:56PM
With the Benchmade 555 in 154CM, the Spyderco M rod edge finish didn't fair to well. It just didn't last long, not sure why. I put a EZE-Lap 220 C, 1200 SF, and Dan's Surgical Black Arkansas stone finish with no stropping to see how that compares. I am not sure if the issue is the steel also.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2019 08:05PM by jasonstone20.
August 12, 2019 09:34AM
Well, the EZE-Lap C, SF, and Dan's Surgical Black Arkansas edge is doing well, same with the F India.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
August 20, 2019 08:54AM
Ok, the tip on the Spyderco Resilience in 8Cr13MoV is just starting to dull. It only shaves in one direction so it looks like the edge rolled. It isn't rolled enough were I can detect it using my burr and micro burr techniques. I think for my use, a serrated tip and a plain blade at the heel makes more sense, like how Victorinox does their partially serrated edges. The Benchmade Mini-Grip 555 in 154CM with the Dan's Black Ark is still in good shape. I am going to try the Spyderco M rod finish again on both knives, and also a Soft Ark next sharpenings.

PS: edit: check that. The Sypdero is partially shaving/scrap shave in both directions. That is why I couldn't detect a burr/rolled edge.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2019 08:59AM by jasonstone20.
August 22, 2019 07:36PM
I stropped the Spyderco with the linen/canvas and leather, plain, 20 pps. Edge came back to life, and still had slicing aggression. Just the tip was a little dull.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
August 24, 2019 08:11PM
I decided to try other high grit finishes. The Spyderco has a Venev diamond waterstone 1u finish, and the Benchmade has a Belgian Coticule edge. Both were also stropped 2 pps Portland Knife House 1u Diamond and 2 pps Maggards CrOx, and the 20 pps canvas and 20 leather.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
September 14, 2019 02:24PM
So the edges started to drag a little, I think mostly from corrosion vs use. Last time I tried two different ultra high grit finishes, and that gave me an idea, so I pulled out the Japanese waterstones and applied the same edge to each blade, mirror polish, King 1k, Norton 4k, Suehiro 3k, Steelex 6k, Norton 8K, Yellow Belgian Coticule #7 Bout, (sharpening) and for stropping 1u Portland Knife House Diamond Spray, Maggards CrOx, then lined and leather. Both edges would treetop arm hair easily. I am not going to use the HHT test anymore, for reasons I will put in another thread. I want to see to the high polished/mirror edge will help with slowing down losing the high sharpness edge to corrosion.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
October 02, 2019 03:24PM
Ok, I didn't use the Benchmade 555 Mini-Grip that much at all, and all it had was a little part of the tip turned. The Spyderco Resilience had one small part of the edge that had a little damage, 3 or 4 micro-chips on a 1-2mm area. I did a quick 3-4 passes per side on the Dan's Surgical Black and both edges were tree-topping arm hair and slicing paper towel. This is the least amount of damage I have had yet since doing these tests, and it was so little that I had to use a 40x loupe to check for damage. I have noticed that the 154CM on the Benchmade does like a coarse edge, so I might end up running the Benchmade with the Wanye Goddard edge and the Spyderco with a mirror finish. I really like the mirror finish for the kind of cutting I do, it seems to hold up better that the other edges I have tried so far. I still need to try the Dan's Soft Arkansas and give the Spyderco M another run. That is next on the list.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
October 05, 2019 10:39PM
I haven't put the Dan's Soft Arkansas stone finish on the Benchmade 555 or the Spyderco Resilience yet, but I have put it on a few other edges and I really like it so far.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login