Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Conditioning a Translucent Arkansas

Posted by bricklayer 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Conditioning a Translucent Arkansas
January 11, 2018 07:04AM
Hey i need to buy some finer sic powder to condition my translucent arky. Its not really out of flat, but the silica abrasive is worn slick. I just want the original bite back in the stone. I did try a fine Norton sic carbide stone, and it seems to polish my stone further. I would hate to even attempt to use the coarse side of the Norton , because it seems finer that the fine side. So what grit do you recommend to put a matte hazy finish on my arky? I know some guys polish the blacks and translucents to a mirror, but IMO I find that like swapping daylight for dark.
Re: Conditioning a Translucent Arkansas
January 11, 2018 07:24AM
bricklayer,
I use either a #325 Coarse Diamond hone, #325 SiC wet/dry sandpaper, or I just use some of the slurry from my AlO or SiC stones that I have saved and grind with that, either on a metal sheet pan or another AlO/SiC stone. It should only take a few seconds to clear up the stone if it is flat.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
January 11, 2018 09:58AM
I agree with Jason.
I have a newer arky, it's not glazed but it had what felt like random grit particles popping up from from the surface.
I did just a quick conditioning job with my 320 yellow smiths diamond stone. That seemed to give a matte surface finish.
January 13, 2018 11:09PM
It seems like the Norton needs to be conditioned as well.

I would just buy grit which would condition the Norton and use the Norton on the Arkansas.