Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Glass lapping plate

Posted by bricklayer 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Glass lapping plate
January 16, 2018 04:24AM
Im curious how long a glass lapping plate will stay true/flat, when using Sic carbide powder? I see that lee valley sells some plastic mylar sheets to coat and protect the glass before lapping. It looks to me those mylar sheets wouldnt last very long, and they are 19.00 for a pack of 3.
Re: Glass lapping plate
January 16, 2018 04:45PM
I bought that system and never used it much for a number of concerns. First I didn't like the idea of glass dust, but mainly I found that it was not actually necessary.

When you use a stone how long is it really at some kind of crazy flat tolerance? I found that practically, I could not tell any difference in using a stone which was flattened on some duper-super system to flattening it on pretty much anything which was just eyeball flat. I currently use most of my stones to flatten other stones and on occasion use some powder on a piece of tile to flatten a few stones.

If I get a really out of flat new stone, I just flatten it on a brick/concrete or something really harsh with sand to get it close to flat, then just repeat the above.

--

I don't know how long the sheets last, or the glass stays flat. If you do any experiments, please post the results.
January 17, 2018 04:36AM
CliffStamp
I bought that system and never used it much for a number of concerns. First I didn't like the idea of glass dust, but mainly I found that it was not actually necessary.

When you use a stone how long is it really at some kind of crazy flat tolerance? I found that practically, I could not tell any difference in using a stone which was flattened on some duper-super system to flattening it on pretty much anything which was just eyeball flat. I currently use most of my stones to flatten other stones and on occasion use some powder on a piece of tile to flatten a few stones.

If I get a really out of flat new stone, I just flatten it on a brick/concrete or something really harsh with sand to get it close to flat, then just repeat the above.

--

I don't know how long the sheets last, or the glass stays flat. If you do any experiments, please post the results.

Yes id like to know the results and thats for sure!! Thats just something thats going to be trial, error and of course money for me, but maybe someone out there has the results. I dont know?? I am finicky about lapping very hard natural oil stones or synthetics. I believe that lapping a SIC carbide stone can be done on a concrete slab or a cinder block. however a very hard synthetic or even a hard natural that doesn't release abrasive like a Sic carbide "soft binder" and requires a lot more knowledge and skill to lap to its full potential, because stone that dont release abrasive, the abrasive just rounds off/down, or ineffective. .Right now i dont require that knowledge. If it dont release abrasive then a man has to know what for example 320 grit feels like under the blade while sharpening. If that makes sense?? I really dont know how to articulate it???
January 17, 2018 04:43PM
bricklayer,
Stefan_Wolf has quite a few videos of him lapping on a glass plate, and has commented that the glass takes a coarse finish. I have a glass plate but only use it for putting abrasive sheets on. I have used a metal baking sheet, however, and it's surface gets coarse also. I am not sure how out of flat either would be.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
January 19, 2018 07:30AM
I have a couple of plates of glass which I use with particular range of abrasive grain. Usually I use the plates for initial lapping, then I keep the stones flat with my naniwa lapping stone for the wet stones. I use glass with Arkansas, man made coarse stones and realy fine naturals like shale/Slade/sandstone and Belgian couticule.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
January 22, 2018 06:30AM
CliffStamp
I bought that system and never used it much ...I don't know how long the sheets last, or the glass stays flat.
Hi
How thick / rigid are the sheets?
Say compared to self-adhesive vinyl converings/shelf liner , which is something like a like a thicker waxpaper

____
Thanks
I don't mow smiling smiley
January 23, 2018 03:20PM
They are 6 thousands of an inch.