Coarse Grit Smiths Oval Diamond Rod
JA Henckels International Butchers Steel

"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
Re: Daily Kitchen Knife Maintenance
March 01, 2018 12:28PM
I am looking into F. Dick - 12" Dickoron Micro Steel, Super Fine Cut, Oval as my next kitchen helper

[www.amazon.com]

in europe is less expensive

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
March 02, 2018 08:28PM
I have spent a lot of time playing with the finish on kitchen knives used by regular people. I have tried various angles, grits, etc. . The conclusion after mass amounts of data is that it really doesn't matter because the knives don't dull by cutting, they dull by accidental impact.

For most people, a fine sharpening rod works very well. It leaves an edge coarse enough to slice most materials but still not so coarse it is very rough peeling or general push cutting.

For my own knives, the ones that just I use, I just sharpen them when I need. For most of them I can restore them on a 1000-2000 very lose bond stone, and then reset the apex as needed.
March 08, 2018 08:10PM
Cliff,
I sharpen my personal knives with either one of two finishes: Cheap hardware stone/Norton Crystolon/Norton India all fine side, then steeled on a smooth steel. The other finish like is to progress up through a few stones to a Spyderco UF.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
JDW
March 09, 2018 12:48AM
I use a Ikea ceramic rod. Cheap but effective.
March 09, 2018 01:17PM
I am trying to switch to using just the Smiths Coarse Diamond followed by the Superstick Ceramic rod, which is about as fine as a Spyderco M rod for push cutting and chopping, or just the Smiths Coarse for a slicing edge.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
March 11, 2018 09:16AM
jasonstone20
I am trying to switch to using just the Smiths Coarse Diamond followed by the Superstick Ceramic rod, which is about as fine as a Spyderco M rod for push cutting and chopping, or just the Smiths Coarse for a slicing edge.
I have been using the Smith's fine to touch up my kitchen knives and like the final edge for all kitchen uses.
scott
cKc
March 21, 2018 02:59AM
my regular use of a whustof chef knife doesn't need daily maintenace except cleaning it.

i will normally go about a year or more on a kitchen knife without needing to really sharpen it. every time i do more than a couple minutes of cutting I'll lightly run it on a fine steel and that keeps it cutting for 1 - 2 years on end with basic food prep use. when used on a board and not going crazy very little actually happens to the edge. its slicing meats and veges. not really demanding work

its when you get into boning knives and such that are getting a bit more rough that it becomes an issue. my fish knife is good for around 40-60 fish just using the steel, then needs about 2 minutes work on a norton stone to touch up again.

if you use your knives as a can opener, then i find daily maintenance is more required grinning smiley

----------------------------------------------------------------------
[data.gearbastion.com]
KnivesAndStuff (YoutTube)
March 22, 2018 06:50AM
cKc-
With my Chef's and Santoku knives I have found the same thing.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
March 23, 2018 10:42AM
something not listed is two towels that are always dry. the wife and I are both in the habit now of washing the knife as soon as cutting is done and double drying even if the knife may be used again in a hour or so.

scott
[www.etsy.com]
me2
April 02, 2018 08:30PM
For general use knives, l use the Norton Economy stone and a 10 inch ceramic rod. 2 to 3 months between sharpening, and it takes a couple of minutes for a complete resharpening. For my Japanese kitchen knives, a Misuzu Bunka and Tojiro Petty, I've started issuing just a 4k King water stone and the Sharpmaker fine triangles. Destressing on the 4k, then shaping takes ascot 100 passes per side, or about 90 seconds, followed by 5 passes per side on the Sharpmaker. For appearance purposes, l've grown to like the near mirror edge. I also recently thinned the primary bevel flats on the Tojiro with the Norton Economy coarse side. I expect someone will be along shortly to take the knives and stone away from me.
April 03, 2018 07:54AM
Chris,
I really like the higher grit edges for the way I use a knife to cut things. I have tried using a more coarse finish, but because I have a tendency to use push cut most of the time, the coarse finishes dull pretty fast.

--Shawn Houston

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login