Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stropping: Is It Worth The Effort?

Posted by jasonstone20 
Stropping: Is It Worth The Effort?
March 23, 2018 06:43PM
Blade forums Thread:
[www.bladeforums.com]

Is stropping worth the time and effort, along with the chance of ruining your edge? I find light stropping helpful sometimes, but if I don't have to I don't strop at all.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
Re: Stropping: Is It Worth The Effort?
March 25, 2018 11:50AM
Lately, I have been getting great results stropping on printer paper place on float glass, with the Chinese 0.5u diamond paste I bought in a variety pack of 10, for 10u-0.5u. I leaves a very crisp, sharp edge, and cuts very quickly, you only need a few passes per side, and there is no noticeable loss of slicing aggression. Up until now, I haven't had that noticeable benefits from using this 0.5u diamond paste. I think that with stropping, to get good results, the steel needs to be in pretty good shape, and the better job you do sharpening, the less chance you have of killing your edge. Less is definitely more with stropping.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
March 25, 2018 01:30PM
jasonstone20
Lately, I have been getting great results stropping on printer paper place on float glass, with the Chinese 0.5u diamond paste I bought in a variety pack of 10, for 10u-0.5u. I leaves a very crisp, sharp edge, and cuts very quickly, you only need a few passes per side, and there is no noticeable loss of slicing aggression. Up until now, I haven't had that noticeable benefits from using this 0.5u diamond paste. I think that with stropping, to get good results, the steel needs to be in pretty good shape, and the better job you do sharpening, the less chance you have of killing your edge. Less is definitely more with stropping.

It seems to be very reasonable method. I like everything:
glass base for flat, cheap printer paper, use of good consistency fine compound..
with extremely light force must be able to achieve extremely high levels of sharpness.

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools
March 25, 2018 01:39PM
JSCT,
I got this method from Jeff Clark on BladeForums, he said he favored it in a post.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login