Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sharpening To Get To Good Metal

Posted by jasonstone20 
Sharpening To Get To Good Metal
March 27, 2018 08:06AM
Two Benchmade's, a S30V 940 Osborne and a 154CM 553 Tanto Griptillian, sharpened until the metal would take a high sharpness:

[www.instagram.com]
[www.instagram.com]
[www.instagram.com]

A lot of material had to be removed, and both knives that had been sharpened a lot were thickly ground.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
Re: Sharpening To Get To Good Metal
March 27, 2018 10:03AM
jasonstone20
Two Benchmade's, a S30V 940 Osborne and a 154CM 553 Tanto Griptillian, sharpened until the metal would take a high sharpness:

[www.instagram.com]
[www.instagram.com]
[www.instagram.com]

A lot of material had to be removed, and both knives that had been sharpened a lot were thickly ground.

How many sharpening hours approximately ?
It looks pretty extreme.. But I believe it.

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools
March 27, 2018 11:54AM
With a few knives I've been really surprised how many sharpenings it took to get to good steel. Which is to say, based on results from other knives I have in similar steels using similar methods, I couldn't get them as sharp for quite a few sharpenings and then suddenly at a certain point they started falling in line with my other results.

Among those are a Sypderco I have in Super Blue, and a kitchen knife I commissioned in AEBL.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
March 27, 2018 12:21PM
Thankfully the new Benchmade 555 Griptillian I received as a gift didn't have that problem. I think both the these knives were from then mid to late 2000's, basically when Benchmade's QC started to become not so good. Also, the S30V was a new steel at the time.

JSCT,
For the Tanto Griptillian, 16 times sharpenings over two months, and for the S30V 940 27 times over four months.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
March 27, 2018 04:43PM
jasonstone20
JSCT,
For the Tanto Griptillian, 16 times sharpenings over two months, and for the S30V 940 27 times over four months.

So most ppl will never get to the better material.. kinda sad.. most will probably not percept it anyway..

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools
March 27, 2018 05:26PM
JSCT,
Yes, the sharpness level I was aiming for was severing a head hair in both hair grain directions, which is higher than shaving sharpness and a little higher than treetopping.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login