Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sapphire Cut Sharpening Steel

Posted by RFL 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
RFL
Sapphire Cut Sharpening Steel
April 12, 2018 05:06PM
I have the Friedrich Dick Sapphire cut 14 inch sharpening steel: video: [www.youtube.com]

The grooves of the steel are very fine and produce a highly polished apex. The cutting ability of the edge produced seems to be similar to the Spyderco fine ceramic (I have the medium, fine, and ultra fine). If the knife edge is dull, the sapphire cut steel will only polish the apex, and not improve the sharpness very much. If the sharpness is near to push-cutting, the sapphire cut will bring it to high push-cutting ability. If the edge has been finished and polished with the ultra fine ceramic, a few pps on the sapphire cut will make it slightly toothy, similar to a DMT XXF.

I wanted to try a high quality, fine grooved sharpening steel and the F. Dick products have an excellent reputation with a 66 HRC. In the video, the presenter describes the sapphire cut as semi-fine. This is probably in comparison to smooth, polished steels since F. Dick describes the sapphire cut as very fine, but more coarse than ultra-fine.
Re: Sapphire Cut Sharpening Steel
April 13, 2018 01:38PM
I like their Balkan steel, personally. It's a fine cut but is a one-piece flat construction with a broad oval "blade" that fits nicely in a 12" machete sheath.
RFL
April 13, 2018 04:12PM
Would you ever use a steel that is rougher than a fine cut? I would think that any type of abrasive would be more practical on an edge than the standard or coarse cut steels. I use a coarse DMT rod for semi-dull kitchen cutlery and it works very well. The only "coarse" steels that I have tried were low quality cheap ones. I might as well have scraped the knives on the sidewalk.

How do you like the loose ring guard on the Balkan steel?
April 13, 2018 04:44PM
I like the combo Forchner Steels. Sounds like you have a great knife steel, RFL!

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
April 15, 2018 06:16AM
I am fan of sharpening steel/burnishing rods and I use them frequently on my kitchen knives as in most of the cases kitchen knife became dull from plastic deformation. Re-aligning the apex is just too convenient for people who are not obsessed with sharpening or do not know how to sharpen.

Great quality for good price are the victorinox branded ones - [www.youtube.com] and [www.youtube.com]

it is medium fine cut and I have a bulgarian one (produce on german tooling with german materials) which is rough cut [www.youtube.com]

I my opinion rough cut steels are good tool to have both at home and in a production meet plant but in combination with fine cut or smooth one.

+

this small guy - [www.youtube.com] it is not a joke it actually works

My next purchase is one of two DICK steels - the already mentioned Balkan Stahl or the Dick Micro

finest cut steel before smooth / polished one they make

120/130 $

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2018 06:19AM by stefan_wolf.
RFL
April 17, 2018 04:51PM
Do you think that the Micro steel will have a practical difference on the edge over using a Polished/Smooth steel?

If I were pairing steels together, I believe that the Micro would work best after using a Coarse steel; and a Smooth steel would work very well after a Fine one.
April 17, 2018 06:16PM
Honestly - fine cut steel will be just fine, other things are for addicted persons like me

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
April 21, 2018 08:24PM
I keep looking at this one, sooner or later I am going to buy it :

RFL
April 26, 2018 02:26PM
The multi-cut steel is definitely a unique product, and it has a really neat look to it. The deep grooves may limit its effectiveness as a general use steel. If I had dents in a fine edge, I would use the Spyderco medium ceramic.
April 26, 2018 03:40PM
RFL,
How are you using the Sapphire steel? What stones are you sharpening the knives you use the steel with?

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
RFL
April 28, 2018 10:26PM
I use the Sapphire steel for edges that are only slightly dulled. It is replacing a DMT ceramic rod (2200 grit) which is not very effective on semi-fine edges. If I did not have either rod, or a strop, I would use a Spyderco medium ceramic followed by the fine or by the DMT XXF.