Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Holding Stone In Hand Vs Bench Honing

Posted by jasonstone20 
Holding Stone In Hand Vs Bench Honing
June 09, 2018 09:46PM
Video:
[youtu.be]
I find holding a stone in hand while sharpening a very useful option when sharpening. It allows for a better feel and pressure sensitivity while sharpening, and you can use fairly small stones on large knives pretty easy.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2018 09:46PM by jasonstone20.
Re: Holding Stone In Hand Vs Bench Honing
July 01, 2018 06:50PM
The only thing which I don't like about recommending that is that it is a great way to cut yourself if you are not paying attention, and kids watch my videos.
July 02, 2018 02:24AM
I sharpen on bench stones but I strop in hand..

I have leather glued to glass 200mmx50mm both sides..
one side is the top skin unloaded
other side is less smooth kind of hairy structure leather flattened on 600grit sandpaper
loaded with 1um diamond compound..

When I hold it in hand I can prevent higher pressure to avoid rounding the edges..

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2018 02:25AM by JSCT.
July 02, 2018 02:39AM
Never managed to cut myself in yand sharpening with small stones, but it is matter of time.

8x3x1 inch - best size bench stones for me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
July 02, 2018 07:04AM
Cliff,
That's a good point. I think I mentioned how to take some safeguards so you don't cut yourself, like using a cut proof glove. I have cut myself bad enough where I had to go to the hospital, I can think of better things that I would like to do than get half a dozen stitches.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
me2
July 02, 2018 08:26AM
I cut myself pretty good once using the stone in one hand and knife in the other. It took a month or more to heal and then had some numbness for about 6 months. It's ok now though. I had to think to remember which finger it was. I'm much more careful now, and it was just a momentary lapse with a 6" stone and a 3" bladed knife.
RFL
July 03, 2018 09:57AM
An 8x3 stone feels best for in-hand sharpening. If the stone is smaller, I will always choose a thicker one over a thinner one. In-hand sharpening is rather sloppy, but it is always very efficient since I tend to do it as fast as possible. If I use a large sharpening stone as a true bench stone (not hand held), then I tend to take much more time for the sharpening process. Also, when in-hand sharpening I use noticeably less oil on the stone, i.e. I waste less oil.
July 11, 2018 10:21PM
I used to sharpen exclusively with stone in hand. Since getting my own place and being able to take over the sink space, I've been practicing switching hands while sharpening with the stone on a sink bridge. My first and only youtube video is me sharpening with a stone in hand. It works well and kinda acts like that worksharp bench stone that has the stone on a pivot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login