Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

harder water stones

Posted by fervens 
harder water stones
November 17, 2018 10:53PM
Can some one give my a suggestion for harder water stones. 1-6k range. Nothing super high yet. I've been using a king 220-1k combo stone and Naniwa super-stones recently, but i still prefer using harder oil stones and my Arkansas stones. I was looking at the Imanishi combo stone, but don't see much on it that really helps me decides. Thanks!
Re: harder water stones
November 18, 2018 03:15AM
Try cerax very universal stones and reasonably priced.. I use cerax 1000 for some
3years. I even managed to degrese it from polymerised sunflower oil several times.
Still works well. I used oil often but it is not a an oilstone..

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools
November 18, 2018 05:11AM
My Shapton 5K is pretty hard.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Always in search of a good choppa'
November 19, 2018 09:18PM
JSCT,

How was the gouging on the cerax and how much of a slurry would it form?

C Amber,

I don't think my wallet would like me very much if i actually caved and started buying the shaptons. I would need to eventually get all the grits.
November 20, 2018 12:58AM
fervens
JSCT,

How was the gouging on the cerax and how much of a slurry would it form?

Compared to traditional basic king or suehiro stones cerax is harder making less slurry
perhaps probably forms slurry faster than shaptons.

I flatten/condition it quite often almost before every sharpening on SiC abrasive paper on glass plate.
I would say its medium hardness fast to dress/flatten pephaps if sharpening narrow bevels
after some 1hour sharpening you will be flattening it for some 10minutes or so and can spend
10 sheets of SiC paper..

(I flatten it on grinder last year or so and just condition it on the glass plate)
Over time may be chaper to get a coarse diamond stone like atoma and use it
to flatten it..

November 20, 2018 09:13PM
Thanks for the info. i currently flatten my water stones with a 180g diamond plate, so not too concerned with that. Just looking for a stone that that i don't have to pay too much attention to. Which is why i like oil stones and my Arkansas stones. With the kings and naniwa's i feel like i have to "fix" an errant gouge too often to want to continuing using them
November 21, 2018 01:44AM
Then maybe cerramic bench stones by spyderco could be quite hard..
Or just get a diamond stone.. because if it wears less it loads more
and cuts slower so not sure it will be a good trade off..

November 21, 2018 12:43PM
fervens,
What Imanishi combo stone are you looking at? The Imanishi, Bester and Beston stones are generally harder than the King and Naniwa stones.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
November 22, 2018 12:23AM
JSCT

I have both Spyderco and DMT sets. Not a huge fan of either for more than just touch ups. Besides, i want to play with waterstones. Gotta get that fix

Jason

I was looking at this. And only cause i can't find them separately at a good price
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login