Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why Are You Stropping?

Posted by jasonstone20 
Why Are You Stropping?
December 05, 2018 07:02PM
This might sound like a silly question for most knife users and knife sharpeners. My point is that before you start stropping, stop and ask you self why you are doing this and if there is a better way to do the same thing. Myself, I strop for a few reasons: burr removal, edge polish, edge refinement, micro-burr removal. If you are using a strop in place of a high grit stone, are the deficits of stropping worth not acquiring a higher grit stone? One can get a fairly high grit stone for not a lot of money, a Spyderco UF is less than $15 USD. Are you deburring? Try light edge leading passes at double the angle. Want polish? Try Flitz, Metal-Glo, or Mothers Mag. Stropping can be a useful tool, but it shouldn't be a crutch for poor technique.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
Re: Why Are You Stropping?
December 05, 2018 08:18PM
For me it was always just to polish the blade a bit and just to give the apex a bit more keenness.

Now I simply polish blades with wet & dry, waterstone powders, and diamond pastes which I find does a far better job. I still like to refine the apex that I have already created and see what more I can get from it.

I rarely create a burr on any knife but when I do it’s usually a “good one” as I’ve dropped in concentration and overdone it.

I like the sticky apex it creates but not at the cost of aggression; which while I don’t like the feel I do find it very useful. I like my knives to have an edge that when you cut yourself you don’t know about it until you see blood but I’ve found these edges can’t compete with the aggressive type that sting and hurt upon contact.

I’m trying to find a medium between the two.

I’ve been wanting the Shapton #30,000 for a few years, I’d think it would negate any need of mine to strop an edge...maybe I’ll get it some day but it’s every expensive.

………………………………………………………………………
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 08:26PM by Wolfgang.
December 05, 2018 08:40PM
Wolfgang,
Exactly, that is the edge I am chasing.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
December 17, 2018 08:33PM
I feel like there are a lot of good reasons for stropping. It's cheap to have several stones of varying grit level and abrasive make up (diamond, cbn, aluminum oxide, what ever is in flitz). For those of us that like to experiment, it's great! i have three new strops i just made and am waiting for compound in the mail for a grand total of $30. I can't buy three ultra fine stones for that price.

I feel like if someone is worried about the negative impacts of stropping, they're far enough down the rabbit hole to not settle for just one finishing or polishing solution and have bought and tried several.

Also, straight razors
December 17, 2018 08:54PM
fervens,
Exactly, straight razor, woodworking sharpening and stropping is one of the things that made me take another look at stropping, along with what you mentioned about being able to experiment with different abrasives, grit sizes, and substrates.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
December 17, 2018 09:02PM
fervens
for a grand total of $30. I can't buy three ultra fine stones for that price.
Hi,
Think smaller as in pocket stones ?

____
Thanks
I don't mow smiling smiley
December 17, 2018 11:38PM
I've tried pocket stones when i was just getting into sharpening, but the value just isn't there. You're not saving enough given the size you get. No where near the options of stones available. It's also more enjoyable to use a full size stone more often than not.

The edge pro options out now are somewhat tempting in this regard. i'll give you that
December 18, 2018 12:16PM
fervens
I've tried pocket stones when i was just getting into sharpening, but the value just isn't there. You're not saving enough given the size you get. No where near the options of stones available. It's also more enjoyable to use a full size stone more often than not.

The edge pro options out now are somewhat tempting in this regard. i'll give you that

I ve turned from using sharpening systems because of the same reason.
Small stones=work progress was slow especially for longer blades..

I sharpen a 210 gyuto about 6 times faster freehand on regular size stones
than on apex sharpening system for example..
And I cant imagine to shapren 240 gyutos or 260 or 290 slicers..

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login