Hapstone R1 Sharpener

Posted by jasonstone20 
Hapstone R1 Sharpener
April 16, 2019 03:35PM

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
Re: Hapstone R1 Sharpener
April 22, 2019 02:59AM
The mechanical gadget side of me really wants an R1, the cheap and logical side of me says I don't need or have a real use for one.
This has been an ongoing internal debate since the very first time I saw pre-prototype renderings of the R1.
It still remains to be seen which side will ultimately win this argument ..................
April 22, 2019 07:31AM
J. Pierce,
I think that unless you really like super flat v-grinds and mirror polishes, sharpen those type of edges for money, or just have trouble freehanding, the fixed systems are overpriced for what they do. You can get an awesome set of stones for what one of those machines cost.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
April 22, 2019 03:53PM
Jasonstone2

I have more stones than any man realistically needs but I still keep buying more................
I do like the nice crisp Vs from a good guided sharpener, I like the looks of a polished edge on a display knife, but I use all of my knives and I'm not particularly fond of the feel of a polished edge except for on some of my wood carving tools.

I'll never really buy an R1, I just want to play with one for a couple hours and then I'd be all out of the notion.
I guessed I'd rent on though....lol
April 23, 2019 10:49AM
I have found the cure for SSAQ (sharpening stone acquisition syndrome). Solution? retirement.
April 23, 2019 09:44PM
Curmudgeon,
Yeah SSAQ is tough. Another cure is not having any money.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login