Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oil Stone Lubricants

Posted by jasonstone20 
Oil Stone Lubricants
July 15, 2019 11:43AM
I have tried several different lubricants on a few stones. I have used on the Norton IC-6 (M Crystolon (Sic)/ F India (AlO)):
Type: Viscosity, Loading, Smell, Toxic/Foodsafe
WD-40: Very thin, minimal loading, smells, toxic
Transmission Fluid: Thin, minimal loading, no smell, toxic
Pharmacy Mineral Oil: medium, minimal loading, no smell, food safe
Baby Oil: very thin, minimal loading, perfume smell, food safe
Canola Oil: thin, minimal loading, oily smell, food safe
Water: very thin, lots of loading, no smell, food safe
Dishsoap and Water: very thin, medium loading, soapy smell, food safe
Dishsoap, Mineral Oil, and Water: very thin, medium loading, soapy smell, food safe

These should work about the same on a Soft Arkansas stone.

For Translucent or Surgical Black Arkansas stones I would choose water, dishsoap and water, or dishsoap, oil, and water.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
Re: Oil Stone Lubricants
August 17, 2019 07:21PM
ive tried a bunch of stuff similar to the list you have. what ive settled on is mineral oil from the local farm and ranch supply. I buy it by the gallon and it lasts a long time and is really reasonable cost wise, then just keep a smaller container filled from it on the bench.

it seems to work well with dawn soap also. so ill take the stones out, use them with mineral oil, then wash them with dawn, set them on the counter to dry, and then the next day put them away. stones stay clean, no loading {just wear on the exposed grit, that you refresh when needed with loose sic and glass}. non toxic that I know about, no problems with oil going rancid, and no bad smells.

Performance above all else!!!
CaltonCutlery.com
CaltonCutlery@yahoo.com
August 17, 2019 10:05PM
Joe,
I am curious about the transmission fluid. I wonder what it is made out of. I have restored a few vintage stones that had been used with it, as it has a distinct red color.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
RFL
October 27, 2019 02:24PM
I have used lemon oil furniture polish (Wilbert, Old English), since it is light mineral oil with a synthetic fragrance added, it works very well. However, the lemon oil is obviously not food safe since the mineral oil is not pharmaceutical grade. Kerosene is used to thin the more viscous mineral oil (liquid paraffin). I tend to use less of the lemon oil than other lubricants because of the lingering aroma, it is not strong but it can become annoying.

I prefer to use any type of light mineral oil that is fragrance free. On ceramic stones and DMT plates I use WD-40.
October 27, 2019 02:50PM
RFL,
I really liked WD-40 when I tried it.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
October 27, 2019 03:26PM
I tend to like a thin oil, I've been using mineral oil with a little mineral spirits added to it to thin it a bit.
Every so often I soak my stones in Simple Green to clean them up too, not very often though. My Crystolons seem to wear away fast enough, but my Indias will load sometimes. I suppose it's probably because I insist on using such thin oil and the India is not very fiable.
October 27, 2019 05:12PM
J. Pierce,
Yes, de-greasing the stones is a good thing to do every now and then. I like a thinner oil also.

--Cliff Stamp

--Roman Landes

--Sal Glesser
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login