Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Benefits Of Plain Stropping

Posted by jasonstone20 
The Benefits Of Plain Stropping
August 15, 2019 07:43PM
Often, stropping can ruin your slicing aggression and ruin your edge. I have found that minimal stropping works best, if you have to strop. I suggest using a plain strop first, like palm stropping suggested by knife maker Joe Calton. A barbers strop works well also. I have found that with plain stropping, ie not with an abrasive paste, you can refine the edge, keep slicing aggression, and not ruin the sharpness of your edge. However, I find no stropping to be ideal for EDC use or where slicing aggression is wanted.

edit: -- Murray Carter technique of stropping on newsprint has also worked very well for me, as well as Ernest Emerson's stropping on cardboard.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2019 08:37PM by jasonstone20.
Re: The Benefits Of Plain Stropping
August 17, 2019 09:45AM
for me, besides straight razors, stropping is more of a method to clean an edge, perhaps get me out of a bind where my edge is dull but I just need to make a couple more cuts before the job is done and I can get to a stone. or a rough total sharpening job in a bind.

I like palm stropping for both straights, and to clean regular knife edges and perhaps wake them up a bit

for emergency sharpening, when you are away from the truck, old 2x4's imbedded with dirt, cinderblocks, rub dirt onto your jeans leg and strop on that, sharpening on sandpaper, ect….

Performance above all else!!!
CaltonCutlery.com
CaltonCutlery@yahoo.com
Re: The Benefits Of Plain Stropping
August 17, 2019 12:14PM
Joe,
I only strop in certain situations like the ones you mentioned. Usually for kitchen knives or EDC use you don't need to strop in my opinion. For straight razors it is almost a must. I don't shave, but that is what I have read.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login