Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Touch Up Maintenance: Abrasive Stropping, Plain Stropping, Touch Up Sharpening, Full Sharpening

Posted by jasonstone20 
Touch Up Maintenance: Abrasive Stropping, Plain Stropping, Touch Up Sharpening, Full Sharpening
November 07, 2019 08:35PM
I really don't care for 'touch up' sharpening. I enjoy sharpening so I will do a full sharpening progression. I find I get better results that way anyway. What do you think is the best way to keep you knives sharp?

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
I myself will often do "touch-up" sharpening, but more as a means to save time than anything else. Recently purchased a cheap strop paddle from ebay, and I can't really say my results are improving much at all, but using the coarse side to get rid of small gunk that ends up in the edge is pretty handy.
Luisknivacc,
What do you use for 'touch-up' sharpening, equipment wise?

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
I'll do a couple of deburring steps in a 600-1200 grit diamond plate, depending on the grit I finished the original edge, and work it back from there, then maybe a couple of passes on a strop.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login