Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What Is Your EDC Edge Angle?

Posted by jasonstone20 
What Is Your EDC Edge Angle?
November 07, 2019 08:44PM
For my EDC use, I try to go as low as I can. I have had micro-chipping issues with D2 and 154CM at 10*DPS/20* Inclusive, so I run steels with carbide volumes in the low to mid-teens at 15*DPS/30* Inclusive. 10*DPS/20* Inclusive or lower seems to be what I like.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston
__
"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp
__
"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes
__
"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
StoneSharpEdges

Jason D. Stone on YouTube
Re: What Is Your EDC Edge Angle?
November 08, 2019 06:11AM
I've been doing 15º per side for a long time now, no rolling issues and still decently able to cut.
November 08, 2019 07:08AM
Luisknivacc,
I think that 15* DPS is a were knife performance starts. I don't see any advantage in the work I have done to use a 20* DPS edge. That being said, most of my work is light.

--Shawn Houston
__
--Cliff Stamp
__
--Roman Landes
__
"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges

sal
November 11, 2019 12:14PM
15 degrees per side on most EDC's. Sometimes I'll run thinner to test an odd steel, like 10 DPS.

sal
November 23, 2019 05:00PM
I used to fuss over getting exact angles but now I don’t bother. The micro bevel is between 12°-17° ps. I just adjust it as need be and I have no real way of determining the exact degrees anyway. I’ve found the compass method and the phone level app method to be a bit sloppy but the compass seems the more accurate of the two. If it will pushcut newsprint then it’s fine.

I take the apex to 5 or 6 microns (depending on the diamond paste) as this is a nice blend of push cutting refinement and slicing aggression; I polish the bevel to 1/2 a micron. I’ve been very happy with this edge for a long time now but I still experiment from time to time.

………………………………………………………………………
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2019 05:02PM by Wolfgang.
November 23, 2019 08:13PM
Wolfgang,
Have you noticed that whittling hair/HHT is sensitive the edge angle? I notice the lower (closer to a zero grind) the angle the easier it is to pass a HHT 3/4. Do you use the 5 or 6 micron finish for EDC?

--Shawn Houston
__
--Cliff Stamp
__
--Roman Landes
__
--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login