Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How To Tell When Your Oil Stone Needs To Be Conditioned

Posted by jasonstone20 
How To Tell When Your Oil Stone Needs To Be Conditioned
March 01, 2020 09:33PM
I really like oilstones, especially India Stones, Arkansas Stones and Washita Stones. I have gotten inconsistent results over the years from these stones, and the reason is always the same: The stone needed to be conditioned!

Mainly, the way I could tell that a stone needed to be conditioned was the results from the sharpening, i.e. edges that needed to be stropped to come up crisp and edges that lacked slicing aggression.

What I have figured out is that to tell if your stone is conditioned optimally is to draw the edge of your fingernail across the stone. I should feel similar to a chalk board or emery board depending on the grit.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)" -- Shawn Houston
"But can it cut a bamboo skewer?" -- Kyley Harris
"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp
"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration" -- Roman Landes
"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' " -- Sal Glesser
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon
Re: How To Tell When Your Oil Stone Needs To Be Conditioned
April 06, 2020 07:46AM
See the black specks embedded in the stone and the high initial sharpness straight from s Washita without stropping - my Washta is almost burnishing so I soaked it in oven cleaner and tomorrow will bring it to fresh 150 SiC on glass working condition

Basically it's time for degreasing and lapping when the sharpness is above the expected for the type of stone (at least for novaculite and India stones)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
April 06, 2020 08:23AM
Stefan_Wolf,
The the vintage Washita stones can be pretty fine, about the fineness of a Hard Arkansas. Not a True Hard Arkansas, but the next step after a Soft Arkansas and before a True Hard Arkansas like a Surgical Black or Translucent. The Washitas are there own type of stone, not a coarse grade of Arkansas. They can come in grits ranging from what is a Soft Arkansas (1k JIS) up to a Hard Arkansas (4K JIS). Tap your stone and see if it rings like a bell, that is an easy way to tell if you have a fine stone. The wonderful thing about the Washita stones is that they cut faster than a Soft Arkansas and can leave a fine finish.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)" -- Shawn Houston
"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp
"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration" -- Roman Landes
"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' " -- Sal Glesser
April 06, 2020 09:15AM
To understand Washita stones someday I need to buy many Lily White, №1 Pike etc.

for now I know mine unknown cuts faster than modern Soft Ark and burnish the edges easily than Soft Akr if I let it clogg/load...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
April 06, 2020 11:37AM
Stefan_Wolf,
I think I have 5 or 6 and they all are different.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login