Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nick Shabazz: Benchmade/Worksharp Edge Maintenance Tool

Posted by jasonstone20 
Nick Shabazz: Benchmade/Worksharp Edge Maintenance Tool
April 13, 2020 08:34AM
[www.youtube.com]

___________________________________________________________________________________________
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)" -- Shawn Houston
"But can it cut a bamboo skewer?" -- Kyley Harris
"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp
"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration" -- Roman Landes
"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' " -- Sal Glesser
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon
cKc
Re: Nick Shabazz: Benchmade/Worksharp Edge Maintenance Tool
April 13, 2020 11:58AM
that looks like it will be handy for a lot of people

i like the butterfly knife style dmt double sides myself

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
April 14, 2020 10:41PM
This thing is kind of expensive at around $50 USD:
[www.benchmade.com]
[www.bladehq.com]

___________________________________________________________________________________________
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)" -- Shawn Houston
"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp
"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration" -- Roman Landes
"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' " -- Sal Glesser
cKc
April 15, 2020 03:02AM
at that price, i'd rather buy a crock stick ceramic for $15 and glue it to a piece of wood grinning smiley

April 15, 2020 07:29AM
Kyley,
Or buy a Sharpmaker. The little dogbone ceramic sticks are like $12.

cKc
April 15, 2020 12:01PM
lansky mini dogbones are $5, i have one here. i really dont like them much.. in general i dont like sharpening on rods, vs stones. very easy to overpressure that tiny point of contact

What i actually just ordered a few days back for about $50 was the following 2 items, which wipes the floor with the above option

DMT Portable Fine/Coarse $25 +/-

Spyder Co Medium Triange Rod $17 +/-

i love the medium spyderco as a finishing rod. after a diamond hone. got coarse fine incase i get some damage. coarse can clean up quick.

i've had a dmt fine,XF in NZ for about 13 years and it still works nicely

April 15, 2020 12:51PM
Kyley,
Yes, I like that combination also, as you can basically sharpen anything. I carry a butterfly DMT or Lansky C/F Diamond and a GATCO TriCeps Ceramic sharpener, or the WorkSharp Guided Field Sharpener with me.

April 15, 2020 05:42PM
In terms of an all-around finish on the apex, I think it’s hard to beat the Medium Spyderco rod. Mine are badly worn out because I used to try to use them for actual gross material removal, so I got a new pair. If all you do is use them for setting the apex, just 5 to 10 very light passes, they should last a very long time.

In all honesty, assuming they are kept clean and not allowed to wear smooth too much, the medium and fine Spyderco ceramics are a very solid setup for versatility and will cover the bases for most purposes. The fine is extremely nice for push cutting, the medium is decent for everything else. A more coarse finish is definitely useful sometimes but for the most part the two Spyderco finishes are adequate for any practical/realistic applications.

The addition of something like a DMT fine or coarse plate for when a strong amount of slicing aggression is needed would round out the arsenal and you’d be pretty well set for anything. Any steel type, any materials that need cutting, the three options would be more than sufficient.
cKc
April 16, 2020 04:15AM
I have the medium and UF bench stones in NZ.. IMO they load way too fast to be anything except light passes finishing stones..

very often, i find that if i come off the belt grinder at 200 - 400grit and the edge is finished well, then only 3 - 4 strokes on the medium stone is enough to make hair on my arm run away from my knife before it nips it off grinning smiley

i also started using the rod with a machining oil and i found this works a lot better. quite a thick oil used for drilling steel.. i'd just smear a thin layer on before doing the honing and then wipe dry. cut well.. less loading residue

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login