Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Naniwa SuperStone Nagura Stones

Posted by Ryan Nafe 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Naniwa SuperStone Nagura Stones
April 25, 2020 09:57PM
Fellas,

I just thought I’d let you guys know about a product that I’ve never seen for sale before, until now at Sharpening Supplies. They’re nagura stones that are matched to every grit level in the SuperStone lineup, the binder and abrasive content appears to be exactly the same as the corresponding SuperStone:

[www.sharpeningsupplies.com]

Perhaps a bit expensive for how big they are, but if you’ve got SuperStones and use them to prepare edges for microbevels or set edges on chopping blades for maximum durability, they are really great. I got one each for my 400 and 1,000 grit stones, it’s really helpful for when you’re not spot-on with the LCP or UCP because of steel type and/or pressures but you still want a lot of the mud on the stone.
Re: Naniwa SuperStone Nagura Stones
April 26, 2020 12:22AM
Ryan,
Awesome! I know a lot of straight razor guys will be very happy!

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
April 26, 2020 01:03AM
Yeah, I really like both of the SuperStones I have, but they can be somewhat sensitive to steel types and pressures when trying to get the desired results.

Especially the 1,000 grit stone, it’s very difficult to use on either very wear-resistant steels or wide contact areas. Finding the correct amount of pressure to use on either of those things is tricky, I often end up either loading the stone and it stops cutting, or I peel off abrasive at a very wasteful rate. The middle ground can be elusive. But it does work extremely well on edge bevels with simple steels, Svord’s 15N20 or the basic carbon steel found in most machetes for example.

The nagura stone helps a lot with cleaning the stone (clearing off the loaded abrasive) and generating the mud that prevents burr formation, allowing for better results on a wider range of knives.

In all reality though, it would be far more economically sensible to buy one of the thinner SuperStones and simply cut it into pieces with a hacksaw or drywall saw, that way you could get multiple pieces of whatever shape and size you need.
April 26, 2020 01:24AM
Ryan,
Yep, waterstones can be tricky like that. As far as cutting up the thinner stones, I think that is what the razor guys were doing, either that or taking an inch of the stone they already have and use that.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
May 12, 2020 11:01PM
The questions in my mind are - 1. Am I sharpening wood working tools or high end japanese kitchen knives to implement a full sharpening progression from 220 up to 8000 grit? 2. Why not raising a slurry with a diamond plate?

Questions of an inexperienced with the japanese stones man.

One of these days I need to spend couple of thousands (probably more) of $ and try naniwa, suehiro, imanishi, shapton...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]