Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Made an Edgepro Like Device

Posted by me2 
me2
Made an Edgepro Like Device
May 13, 2020 08:03PM
Got to tinkering in the garage and made an Edgepro sort of. I sharpened an old United Cutlery tanto on it. It uses DMT stones. I just sharpened with the coarse snd then deburred/apexed a few passes at a slightly higher angle. The resulting edge was very sharp, catching hair on my head above the skin and even whittling one, though I couldn't repeat it. Extremely aggressive on the slice, I want to keep practicing. It will take some refinements in design, but it looks promising. I want either a Spyderco Resilience or Wharnecliffe Endura. I plan to it with this guided system and sharpen my Cold Steel Voyager freehand and see how they compare in terms of sharpness and rate of wear. I've suddenly decided I like visually even and uniform bevels and a guided system seems the most efficient way to do them.
Re: Made an Edgepro Like Device
May 13, 2020 08:29PM
me2,
I am in the same boat. I can get very sharp polished edges with a guided system, with the sharpness only rivaled by sharpening on my Japanese waterstones and sometimes my Arkansas stones. Get a pack of Feather DE blades, they are a good reference for HHT 3/4 right out of the box.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston
__
"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp
__
"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes
__
"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
StoneSharpEdges

Jason D. Stone on YouTube
me2
May 13, 2020 08:55PM
I have some. I used them as a standard when I was calibrating my push cut test on thread and a scale. That was when I was active on the BESS forum and wanted to see how it compared to their system. I never did get one, but I could roughly compare my blades by scaling to the double edge razor standard they set as their base.

I think I'll try the little blade on my LEATHERMAN Wave tomorrow. That would be a good on to try to polish. It's short enough it shouldn't take all night. I've kept the serrations up with the Sharpmaker, but the straight part is a wreck.
cKc
May 14, 2020 07:54AM
its funny how what we like changes, or adapts. i still prefer the beauty of a blended convex edge, although i admit the contrast of a highly polished edge against a plain primary stands out nicely when looking at it.

is no one into doing guided electric systems.. for example you could rig up something like a makita power file and an angle guide. set it on slow speed and go crazy. grinning smiley

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
May 14, 2020 08:27AM
cKc,
I was thinking of using a makita powerfile for freehand regrinds, using it as a fixed angle system is genius.

"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston
__
"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp
__
"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes
__
"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
StoneSharpEdges

Jason D. Stone on YouTube
May 14, 2020 11:27AM
me2
May 14, 2020 12:17PM
I feel a bit less nutty after that.
cKc
May 14, 2020 12:19PM
haha.. so someone has actually done this.. evil genius think alike grinning smiley

May 14, 2020 12:47PM
I’ve never used an electric power file, but I spent several years working with pneumatic ones. The pneumatic ones I used were far too powerful and sketchy for any kind of sharpening outside of grinding new bevels on unhardend scrapers, or on the big serrations on insulation knives. Depending on the belt used, they are extremely aggressive and very difficult to use freehand if you care about not burning the steel or creating a recurve.
cKc
May 14, 2020 03:47PM
the power files are variable speed and go much slower than my knife grinder for example, but it will depend on the tool

me2
May 15, 2020 08:44PM
I'll probably abandon this gizmo. After a few tries, I can still sharpen faster and sharper with the Norton Economy and my old ceramic rod. Only the appearance is better with the guide.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login