Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Measuring Edge Bevel Angle

Posted by jasonstone20 
Measuring Edge Bevel Angle
May 14, 2020 02:28PM
I have been trying to find an easy and consistent way to measure edge angle. I really don't care about the numbers, but when you are trying to describe things and transmit information about knives, numbers are often a common language. Methods used before are:
  • Venier Calipers and Trigonometry
  • Angle Guide/Protractor
  • Angle Cube/SmartPhone App
  • Swing Arm Protractor

Out of all of those the cheapest and easiest one was the $1.99 USD Staedtler Swing Arm Protractor. You simply insert the knife in the arc Veneir of the protractor, lie the blade on the flat ruler side, and place the swing arm down on the edge bevel, and then take a reading.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)" -- Shawn Houston
"But can it cut a bamboo skewer?" -- Kyley Harris
"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp
"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration" -- Roman Landes
"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' " -- Sal Glesser
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals
cKc
Re: Measuring Edge Bevel Angle
May 14, 2020 03:51PM
i guess this will get the major bevel angle, but not the cutting apex angle unless you are getting it to the point of biting plastic

if you have a cheap magnetic angle cube, then you just put it on the side of the knife and lift until the edge bites. but this is certainly cheaper and simple.

how i have done it in the past, and its prob so so accurate +-/ -.0.5deg is vernier apex to spine, lift blade to bite, and meaure height to centre point of spine, then work out the angle

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
May 14, 2020 11:55PM
cKc,
That is what I did. The knife shown has a chisel grind. I am going to get an angle cube next to try out. As far as the caliper measurements, I had been doing it a more inaccurate way, and in fact harder. The way you used them was easier.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)" -- Shawn Houston
"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp
"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration" -- Roman Landes
"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' " -- Sal Glesser
sal
May 16, 2020 09:40AM
Hi Jason,

Goniometers are the easiest way to determine edge angle. CATRA makes a variety of them including a "home use" version that as I remember is about $100.

We use them regularly. I have a small industrial unit at home as well. Edge angle is a particularly important part of performance.

sal
May 16, 2020 10:33AM
sal,
Thank you for the info, I forgot about those in my listing. I am building my own Goniometer, that is why I picked up the swing arm protractor.

me2
May 19, 2020 09:16AM
I haven't measured them in years, but I used to raise the spines until it bit then measure the height of the spine. I forgot about it until now, but Verhoevens article on sharpening has a way to make a goinometer. I haven't tried it though.
May 19, 2020 10:28AM
The Neiko Venier Calipers I just got in the mail are way better and easier to get an accurate reading then the carbon fiber General Ultra Tech 1433. Although the former are a lot heavier weight wise than the latter. I am very happy.

May 19, 2020 10:30AM
me2,
The Sharpening Article? I will have to read it again. SharperAndMower gave me the directions here

May 19, 2020 02:29PM
Hi guys,

the easiest way is just enter the numbers in this page and get the results. You only need a pachymeter to make the measures.

Work for main bevel.

[dcknives.com]

For the secondary just make a simple math: half of the thickness at the bevel shoulder divided for the length of distance from the shoulder to the apex. The result you check on tangent table ( sen cos tg ) table

Ex: 0,170 at the table the tangent near that number is 10 degree

Link for trigonometric functions table:

[www.engineeringtoolbox.com]

*I use metric values
** the result is per side

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2020 02:51PM by cabraljr.
me2
May 19, 2020 03:15PM
I think it was in an appendix. He had the same issue of a relatively simple device being very expensive.
September 27, 2020 10:35AM
I was having difficulty using the round bevel gauge for knives, and it seemed to be useless for measuring knife edge angles. This shows you how to use the gauge for knives:
[www.youtube.com]

November 06, 2020 11:34AM
sal
Hi Jason,

Goniometers are the easiest way to determine edge angle. CATRA makes a variety of them including a "home use" version that as I remember is about $100.

We use them regularly. I have a small industrial unit at home as well. Edge angle is a particularly important part of performance.

sal

Is this the one you mention for home use? It's the cheapest one I can find, looks quite useful for certain.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login