Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DMT Dia-Sharp 11.5x2.5

Posted by Ryan Nafe 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
DMT Dia-Sharp 11.5x2.5
June 20, 2020 11:13PM
Got one of these a while ago and it’s just recently started to really come into line with the expected behavior, it’s starting to produce extremely sharp edges with very little effort:

[www.bitchute.com]
Re: DMT Dia-Sharp 11.5x2.5
June 21, 2020 03:16PM
Ryan,
Is this a combo stone? What grit(s)? Sorry I didn't watch the video yet. That is a good sized stone, large stones have their advantages.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
June 21, 2020 03:26PM
Ryan,
It is awesome that you are using BitChute. I need to finish uploading all my YouTube videos to BitChute.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
June 21, 2020 05:27PM
Oh bitchute, it's like being on the old internet when the only people that posted things were kooks and weirdos.

Ryan: That stone would have given me fits. I only briefly had a 600 grit DMT, it was one of the polka dot stones. I never got a useful finish from that thing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill22252 on YouTube. "See you space cowboy"

Resident Emerson Fanboi

Folding knives are fun, fixed blades are important.
June 21, 2020 06:08PM
jasonstone20
Ryan,
It is awesome that you are using BitChute. I need to finish uploading all my YouTube videos to BitChute.

Bugout Bill
Oh bitchute, it's like being on the old internet when the only people that posted things were kooks and weirdos.

Yeah guys, basically YouTube continues to do things that I really don’t like or appreciate or agree with, so I’ve decided to put all future videos on Bitchute. They’re less ridiculous and I enjoy the more obscure nature of the site, kinda like how YouTube used to be edgy back in the day.

jasonstone20
Ryan,
Is this a combo stone? What grit(s)? Sorry I didn't watch the video yet. That is a good sized stone, large stones have their advantages.

It’s the Fine one, single-sided. The large size is really really great for a finishing stone/plate.
June 22, 2020 02:48AM
Also, another observation about the fairly large 11.5x2.5 plates:

The longer surface means that you’ll have completely re-calculate your passes per side if you’ve been using something that’s significantly shorter.
June 23, 2020 09:49AM
I like the length.. I wish I could get a 10k stones so long to finish my edges
with one continous move..

www.instagram.com/jscuttingtools
December 20, 2020 01:22AM
I’m really enjoying this DMT plate for the apex finish of my knives. It just keeps getting easier and easier to get extremely sharp edges. The plate itself has continued to produce more uniform scratches and sharper edges.

My suspicion is that it will keep getting better up to a certain point and then stabilize and not change much at all for many years, like what Cliff noted about his various DMT plates from decades ago.

Once I’m finished with my sharpness measurement system, I’ll be using either the Shaman or the Mini Shaman as the base knife for sharpness testing, and the DMT plate as the standard apex finish. Reset the edge bevel with the SuperStone 400, set apex with the DMT Fine, measure sharpness.

Once I reach a level of consistency where my numbers aren’t getting lower and lower, once I sort of hit a plateau and stop noticeable progress, I’ll then go about finding a cord/string and tension weight combination that matches well with my highest sharpness.

Then after that, after my abilities and the measurement system have been really fine-tuned and improved, then I can start to branch out with other stones, knives, steel types, etc.
December 20, 2020 06:00PM
Ryan,
Do you strop at all?

December 20, 2020 07:22PM
Nope, no stropping for me. I had a KnivesPlus strop block years ago, after jdavis882 recommended it, but it’s been MIA for a long time. Generally I don’t see a reason for me to do it unless it’s something like a chopper, something that will benefit from a slightly rounded-off apex. And even in the case of a chopper, I get a very similar effect from just leaving the secondary edge with the finish from a SuperStone 400 or 1,000.

I may get one from Sharpening Supplies eventually and try it with DMT paste, though. It would maybe be interesting to experiment with for certain things, and I think the oil-based DMT diamond paste would be much better for actually cutting the steel than a chromium oxide compound. The oil-based paste would absorb into the leather really well and I think the diamond abrasive would be interesting to use. Its edge-trailing passes, but the relatively large particle size of 3 to 6 microns and the very high hardness and sharpness of the abrasive would create much different results than a traditional green Cr2O3 compound with 0.5 micron particles.

Sharpening Supplies sells a 12”x3” strop that would definitely work well in combination with the 11.5”x2.5” DMT plate. Perhaps three to five passes per side on the strop loaded with 3 or 6 micron DMT paste. Just to really refine and straighten the apex after the 25 micron plate. But again I’d feel like I’m sort of cheating, I should be able to get optimal performance off just the Fine plate alone.

I’m basically in agreement with Cliff about stropping being unproductive in most cases if the apex was set properly off the stone or plate. Again with the exception of wood choppers or other things that would specifically benefit from a slightly rounded apex.
December 20, 2020 09:11PM
Ryan,
Makes sense.

Gritomatic has a Venev Diamond Sampler for around $9.50. I picked it up, and it is pretty nice, it has 8, 60 μ C20 μ C10 μ F7 μ F5 μ EF3 μ EF1 μ UF0.5 μ UF grits: [www.gritomatic.com].

I was wanting to get a Naniwa SuperStone #400, to use instead of my King 1k, and then I was wondering if I should get the Naniwa SuperStone 1k also, because the next stone in the progression would be the Naniwa Aotoshi 2k Green Brick of Joy. I really like the splash and go, because the stones actually dry, and the risk of mold is minimal.