Suehiro Cerax Users?
July 26, 2020 04:20PM
Anybody here using these stones? I have an interest in the 320 & 1000 for using as muddy bevel setting stones to prep for applying the apex.

Do they work well in this regard to minimize the burr? I was also considering the Naniwa Superstone line with a similar combo of 220 or 400 & 1000, which are known to have the desired properties. Also, looking at the King Deluxe lineup with the 220 & 800 or 1000 or 1200 stones.

I only have knife in the Class 1 steels form Svord L6 in the mid 50's RC up to INFI/AEBL/52100 high 50's RC, a couple Japanese White Carbon steel up to 63 RC. Just one more which is 1095 at 67 RC.
Re: Suehiro Cerax Users?
July 26, 2020 04:41PM
I haven’t used the Suehiro stuff before, but I really think it’s gonna be hard for you to beat the SuperStone 400 or 1,000. My recommendation would be the 400 just because it’s a simpler to work with than the 1,000. Check this out:

[www.cliffstamp.com]

If you wanna buy one I’d recommend getting it from here:

[www.sharpeningsupplies.com]

If all you’re doing is using it to prep edges for a microbevel, just sort of even them up and form a clean and burr-free edge, it will last you a very long time. Long enough to make the $45 seem like a very very fair price.
July 26, 2020 05:09PM
Yes, I was planning on purchasing from them also... great store. I am really not concerned so much with long lasting, just that they minimize the burr well and cut reasonably quickly comparative to what you'd expect from their grit ratings. I don't sharpen a high volume, I might only sharpen a couple knives per week maximum.

My main curiousity with the Cerax is they do have a good reputation and they are sintered ceramics, so they should be very difficult to damage compared to resin bonded or magnesium bonded stones. The Sigma Power Select II seems like overkill for what I sharpen, but I may just go this route too. Ideally I'd just get one set from each manufacturer and find the one that I liked best, but I don't want to spend a ton right now.
July 26, 2020 05:14PM
Yes, I was planning on purchasing from them also... great store. I am really not concerned so much with long lasting, just that they minimize the burr well and cut reasonably quickly comparative to what you'd expect from their grit ratings. I don't sharpen a high volume, I might only sharpen a couple knives per week maximum.

My main curiousity with the Cerax is they do have a good reputation and they are sintered ceramics, so they should be very difficult to damage compared to resin bonded or magnesium bonded stones. They are likely similar to Sigma Power Select II (seems like overkill for what I sharpen), but differ in that they are white aluminum oxide abrasives.

Ideally I'd just get one set from each manufacturer and find the one that I liked best, but I don't want to spend a ton right now. I read Cliff post somewhere in his YouTube video comments that he had a Cerax stone, but hadn't used it yet... that was 5 years ago... maybe he's tried it out by now hopefully haha.
July 26, 2020 05:20PM
If you want to experiment and just explore differences between various product lines and manufacturers, then of course go for it. It could be fun and interesting and you might learn things that not many of us know.

But if you just want raw utility, just something with a known ability to accomplish a specific goal, then I believe the SuperStone 400 would be your best bet.

Not to complicate things further, but you have a range of mostly simple steels of not an exceptionally high hardness, and you might find the 1,000 to be perfectly fine for them. Especially if you wanna have good sharpness off the stone. The 1,000 (as I’ve noted elsewhere) is a little tricky with some steels, but it’s very consistent with the class 1 stuff. It produces that same sort of dense, smooth, heavy mud that the 400 does, it’s just a bit finer and harder to see because of the color of the stone.

I bet you’d like that one as well. I use it to finish the edge on my big machetes and my axes. If you want decent sharpness (smooth shaving, very easily slicing fine paper way out from the hold point) but very good durability also, it’s a good stone to finish on.
July 26, 2020 05:40PM
I own the Superstone in 220 grit but not in 400 or 1000 as I have the Pro series from Naniwa there so I can only compare it to reviews I read.

The SS220 behaves similar to the 400 as in it is quite soft and produces mud/slurry readily which in turn also makes it go out of flat real fast so plan in regular maintenance to keep it flat. It also does not create very deep scratches but produces a mate finish that is easily cleaned up with finer stones.