Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any Problems With This Technique to Change Blade Shape?

Posted by YESH 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Any Problems With This Technique to Change Blade Shape?
August 02, 2020 11:28PM
Here's a short video of Ken Schwartz changing the blade shape/profile of Japanese knife that has too much round belly. He grind the knife into the stone 90 degrees, but not the way you'd expect similar to Hap Stanley's jointing method... more like scraping the edge vigorously over the stone sideways.

Does something like this concern you from a standpoint of causing damage to the knife through overstessing the metal? Would the damage climb well up into the blade or just be contained at the edge?

[www.youtube.com]

I have the same stone and have used it similarly on a Svord EDC knife, works pretty well for this sort of job. But as mentioned above, I am hesitant to do anything like this again until I have a better idea of what sort of damage might come to blades doing this.
Re: Any Problems With This Technique to Change Blade Shape?
August 03, 2020 05:07PM
In general, very general, any grinding will leave damage proportional in depth to the grit size and proportional to the

-impact energy

Dragging the knife sideways will likely cause this to increase because you are putting shear forces on the blade, but I would suspect that once the edge is recut, the damaged steel would be removed especially if you used a lot of water and went slow to maximize cutting and reduce friction/galling/shear.
August 04, 2020 12:00PM
On the same topic...
I purchased used old stock mora 4216 9ninch 12c27 58 hrc wooden handle.
The belly towards the tip is too pronounced for my taste and cutting techniqe. Can I hand cut an inch of the tip with bi-metal Bacho steel saw in your opinion?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
cKc
August 07, 2020 03:01AM
stefan_wolf
On the same topic...
I purchased used old stock mora 4216 9ninch 12c27 58 hrc wooden handle.
The belly towards the tip is too pronounced for my taste and cutting techniqe. Can I hand cut an inch of the tip with bi-metal Bacho steel saw in your opinion?

very slowly. if you have an angle grinder, remove a lot of it with the knife under water and don't grind all the way to where you want to go is one option.

I've tried with jigsaws.. its not easy.

a carbide saw is more likely to work

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
cKc
August 07, 2020 03:03AM
any reason not to just buy a cheap 1x30 grinder with a circular wheel?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
August 11, 2020 06:10PM
I tried - it was a waste of time - I spent a chep 1 $ chinese 150 Sic stone and 30 minute sto do the regrind.
I live in a very small apartment so no room for tools. I wish I could have a 1x30 grinder ;(

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
August 12, 2020 12:52AM
stefan_wolf,
If you can, get a Tormek. They are more expensive than a cheap 1x30, but you can do a lot, they are very versatile. Or a Tormek clone, they are cheaper.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2020 12:53AM by jasonstone20.