Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Switching to Freehand Sharpening

Posted by me2 
me2
Switching to Freehand Sharpening
August 11, 2020 05:02PM
I've been sharpening the kitchen knives freehand for a while now. I just switched over to it for my EDC knives. Next time I sharpen my reground Delica, that will be the last. I have that one, a Byrd Tern slip-it, and my Cold Steel Voyager. I will occasionally reset the edge bevels on my angled blocks. It's so much faster to keep the Norton Economy stone by the sink and finish off with a few swipes on my ceramic rod or hand held Sharpmaker stone rather than get blocks and stone out. It might be nice to get a fine and ultrafine triangle and put handles on them, just to put some distance between them and my fingers.
cKc
Re: Switching to Freehand Sharpening
August 12, 2020 04:44AM
2000/3000 ceramic

I ordered one of these to try. no idea when it will ever arrive, but for the money it looks like a much better option

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's not Cliff, its Dr Stamp
#kebabstickcut, it's a thing - make it happen
me2
August 12, 2020 02:56PM
If you ever get it, I'd be interested how it works. The Sharpmaker triangles fit some of my blades better, otherwise I'd just use the round one I have for everything.
August 12, 2020 10:42PM
ckc,
That looks like a nice one. I wouldn't mind having the black model and the white model they make, you wouldn't need to go to the stones at all.

me2,
Yeah, I keep my Norton Economy in the kitchen also, along with this Super Stick, which is about the grit of a Spyderco M rod, a Smtih's Ceramic stone, plus a Smith's C Diamond Oval Rod, and two steels, a Folschners and a Henkles.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)" -- Shawn Houston
"But can it cut a bamboo skewer?" -- Kyley Harris
"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp
"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration" -- Roman Landes
"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' " -- Sal Glesser
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon
cKc
August 13, 2020 05:22AM
when it arrives i'll do a video. its stuck in covid transport

cKc
August 26, 2020 04:52AM
me2
If you ever get it, I'd be interested how it works. The Sharpmaker triangles fit some of my blades better, otherwise I'd just use the round one I have for everything.

received the small venev 80/120 diamond

can't say much yet... its a nice size for hand holding, and I'm going to make a paddle to hold it, so it can be easy to hold and flip

its aggressive and cuts nicely

I also received the Nobel ceramic kitchen hone.
its nice. I'm not sure if the numbers match up to what it really is. but it works well. i would say its similar to the spyderco medium but much easier to hold and use and longer. because its curved i don't find it gouging in the edges of the flats.

i think its a much better option than buying a sharpmaker stick and putting a handle on

I'll have a better feel for them after a few weeks.
the ceramic i mostly want to compare to using the real steeling hone in the kitchen daily and see what maintains the knife better, or no big difference

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2020 04:57AM by cKc.
cKc
August 26, 2020 09:05AM
So i had a little spare time and used the ceramic hone to touch up the kitchen knives (5 paring knives and a 6" blade or 2)

works effectively on knives like this that have dulling mostly from denting (plates, sinks etc) and thin edges.

the ribbed side then the smooth leaves it with a sharp aggressive slice that will cut arm hair but likes a draw cut.

so far seems good for what I wanted it for as far as sharpness.

me2
August 26, 2020 04:07PM
Interesting results. I have a 8" ceramic on a handle that works pretty well. Its safer than using the triangles in hand.
August 26, 2020 10:17PM
I've wanted a sharpmaker for a while, but they're just too expensive to buy and have posted to Australia for what they are. I might have a look at some other ceramic options like the Nobel hone.
cKc
August 27, 2020 03:10AM

did a quick video. my microphone is amped up so everything sounds harsher and louder than it really is.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login