Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CBN Sharpening "stone"

Posted by sal 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
sal
CBN Sharpening "stone"
September 15, 2020 03:21PM
Hi all,

If you'll pardon the shameless plug, I'd like to mention that we have a new CBN stone, 3" X 8", "1/4" thick steel "Embryo" 400 mesh on one side and 800 on the other side.

sal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2020 03:48PM by sal.
Re: CBN Sharpening "stone"
September 15, 2020 05:53PM
sal,
Awesome! Were you still planning to send out evaluation pieces to Cliff and I, or did you decide against it? I can't speak for Cliff, but I have a bunch of knife related projects going on, and I would happily set aside time to evaluate one, since I have a broad range of steels to test on it right now (S90V, M390, ELMAX, S30V, VG-10, 154CM, D2, AUS 8, 8Cr13MoV, AEB-L, 1.4116, ect.).

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
sal
September 15, 2020 10:03PM
Hi Jason,

I was planning on send one each to you and Cliff. I don't know if I have your address handy. Please email it to me: We don't have packaging yet, just the leather case.

sglesser@Spyderco.com

sal
September 16, 2020 12:59AM
sal,
Done. Thank you for letting me try one out and do an evaluation!

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
sal
September 16, 2020 03:13PM
Hi Jason,

l didn't get your email? Please resend.

thanx,

sal
September 17, 2020 11:43PM
sal,
Ok. I might have used the wrong email account (I have several) and my email might have ended up in the spam folder. I also remembered that along with a bunch of different steels I have to use, I have a bunch of stones to compare the CBN stone to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2020 11:48PM by jasonstone20.
sal
September 19, 2020 03:47PM
Hi Jason,

Got it. Will go our early next week.

sal
September 20, 2020 03:01PM
sal,
Ok, great. I will let you know when I get it.

September 25, 2020 07:15PM
sal,
I just got the package, thank you!

September 26, 2020 12:11AM
Just for a quick test, I sharpened my PM2 in S30V with the #400 and #1000* grit sides of the stone. This is the nicest stone of a plated abrasive I have used. I cut the edge off on the #1000 side with three passes, then used the #400 side to raise a burr, moved to the #1000* side, raised a burr, and then removed the burr. The blade would shave, with some effort. I then used the Trend 8x3 strop loaded with the Tomek paste on the rough side of the leather for a few passes, and then a few on the plain leather. Shaving ability increased, and the blade still had a good deal of slicing aggression. I will keep an eye on the stone and see how long it takes to break in. I used a combination of water, oil, and soap as a lubricant. There was no grit shedding like I have had with other plated abrasives. This is a very large stone also. More to come, and I will try and get some microscope images on the edge and the surfaces of the stone. I also want to do a sharpening video.

*edit: #1000 should be #800

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2020 03:41AM by jasonstone20.
September 26, 2020 02:02AM
Shawn Houston/BBB/Triple B Handmade tries the stone out:
[www.youtube.com]

September 26, 2020 05:17PM
I used the Spyderco TriAngle Rods on the PM2 in S30V after using the #400/#800 CBN stone, to see how the edge would be when used in conjunction with all the stones. The CBN stone really completes the Spyderco lineup for sharpening stones, and gives you a full sharpening progression to work with: Course, Medium, Fine, Extra Fine, Ultra Fine (C = #400 CBN, M = #800 CBN, F = Medium Ceramic, XF = Fine Ceramic, UF = Ultra Fine Ceramic). The edge was tree topping off the full progression of the stones, no stropping needed.

September 26, 2020 05:45PM
I recommended this plate to a buddy that has problems with his R2 and zdp 189 gyuto knives.

Waiting to see somebody sharpening k390 smiling bouncing smiley

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is GOOD!

[www.youtube.com]
October 01, 2020 08:14PM
Well, the stone is broken in, and it is working very nicely. I was able to get a cleanly shaving edge off the #800 side of the stone, after using the #400 to raise a burr. I really am enjoying this stone, and it is the best made plated abrasive stone I have ever seen, nicer than the Atoma's if you ask me.

sal
October 02, 2020 03:19AM
H Jason,,

Glad you are enjoying it. Thanx for the test and review.

sal
October 02, 2020 03:38PM
sal,
My pleasure. Hopefully I will have a full write up on the stone and a video up also.

October 02, 2020 07:44PM
sal,
What does "Embryo" refer to? The process of making the stone, or the stone itself?

sal
October 02, 2020 09:08PM
Hi Jason,

The "Embryo" is the steel part that the CBN or Diamonds are plated to. We have the 3 X 8 steel Embryo for the stone you have, a steel Embryo for the triangle diamond and CBN, and a steel Embyro for the Duckfoot" which will be remade in CBN to go with the ceramic "Golden Stone".

sal
October 03, 2020 12:05AM
sal,
Ok, I see, thank you!

October 08, 2020 05:27AM
Ok, the stone is broken in on both sides now, since last week. I can get screaming shaving sharp edges off both sides of the stone. This is really an awesome stone, and it would go great with the rest of the Spyderco sharpening stones.

November 01, 2020 06:22PM
This is stone becoming my favorite edge finish for edc. I am running the #400 grit side on my PM2, and I really like it. I am using the #400 on the large blade of my SAK Super Tinker, and #800 on the small blade. I don't know why I like the #400 over the #325 diamond, the #400 is more like a Fine India, an edge finish I really like. Hopefully I will get some microscope images up soon.

November 02, 2020 05:51PM
Sal,
I got the video done, I sent you an email with the link, I would like you to see it before I make it public.

sal
November 03, 2020 01:52AM
Hi Jason,

When did you send it?

sal
sal
November 03, 2020 03:07AM
Hi Jason,

I don't need to see it. If it's true, run with it.

sal
November 05, 2020 05:31PM
Wow, this sounds like it would be great for what I need... especially if the 800 does a good job allowing for very sharp edges. When are these going into production, Sal?
sal
November 07, 2020 04:05AM
Hi Yesh,

They are in production. We're waiting on packaging. The one I send to Jason did not include packaging.

sal
November 07, 2020 06:40PM
Sal,
Awesome, thank you. Here is the video:

[www.youtube.com]

sal
November 08, 2020 04:21PM
Hi Jason,

Thanx for taking the time and effort. Appreciate. We'll look into the cosmetic issues.

sal
November 08, 2020 09:15PM
Sal,

What was the reasoning for going with CBN over Diamond for these stones? I know CBN is more expensive, so I'd imagine you guys found some performance quality that was worth the additional price it comes with. I remember reading somebody here mention that they felt diamonds were not particularly well suited to grinding steel (perhaps in industry, cannot find post to quote) and believed CBN had better match for this application.

Do you have plans to offer any higher grit versions of this stone?
November 08, 2020 09:31PM
sal,
No problem, glad I could help. I really do like the stone, it leaves a very nice finish, both sides, and cuts quickly.