Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spyderco Ceramic Finishing Stones

Posted by YESH 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Spyderco Ceramic Finishing Stones
November 05, 2020 05:02PM
I have been looking for a good higher grit (1200-3000 grit) finishing stone for kitchen knife use for a while now, had this idea a while back that rather than getting a diamond plate I could just go with the Spyderco's. The only concern would be keeping it flat and conditioned, but I believe I have a solution for this that will work quite well so it's not a hangup for me. What are other's experiences with these stones vs good diamond plate like Atoma or DMT?
sal
Re: Spyderco Ceramic Finishing Stones
November 07, 2020 04:12AM
Hi Yesh,

We are now making a "V" sharpener ( Galley "V" ) at a very narrow angle, about 20 degrees inclusive. The stones are long and the base is easily clamped to a table. They are made for commercial applications like food processing plants. The stones are fine grit and elliptical in shape. We also make an elliptical CBN stones for our Gauntlet sharpener that also fits the Galley "V".

sal
November 07, 2020 06:46PM
YESH,
Any of the Sypderco Ceramics will work for what you need. Try buying some of the TriAngle Rods in M, F, and UF to try out, then get the bench stones in the grit you like. Just use Silicon Carbide Wet/Dry Sandpaper to condition them. Or like sal suggested, the Gally V system would work well.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
sal
November 08, 2020 04:19PM
Hi Jason,

Thanx much for the video. Appreciate the effort. We'll look into the cosmetic issues. It's a new product and as with most new products time and use evolve the product, at least at Spyderco.

sal