me2
Guided Systems
February 17, 2021 04:22AM
I've become infatuated with guided systems a bit. I used my DMT Aligner Pro kit to sharpen a kitchen knife and found it more effective than I remember. My only issue is the lack of lower angle options. Clamp systems like this generally suffer from the stone hitting the clamp as angles get below about 20 dps. Are there systems that allow this low an angle.?
Re: Guided Systems
February 17, 2021 07:58AM
A completely different approach but there are guided systems that can go low.

[katocut.at]

This is just an example of a commercially available product but there are quite a few self built system like this out there as it is not too complex.
me2
February 17, 2021 02:54PM
I think Edgepro is capable of low angles. I'm considering getting one or rebuilding the clone I made and tore apart. The DMT kit worked well enough, but would have been enhanced by lower angles.
February 18, 2021 10:07AM
I have to measure it again but I think it does not go below 10 DPS or so as it start to grind the plastic clip away. And without that clip the lip that the Knife rests against is quite thin and you can slip on top of it.
me2
February 18, 2021 11:33PM
That's low enough for me. I use 12 degrees per side for most knives.
February 28, 2021 07:11PM
So I measured it now with an angle cube with a few knives. My clip is already a bit ground of so with a new system the Angles will be a bit more obtuse. Measurements were taken with the handle resting on the edge of the Table and the edge overhanging about 1-2mm.

Knife Knife height Angle
Opinel Pairing Knife 16mm 21.5° per side
Spyderco Bow River 26mm 14° per side
Mora Carbon 21mm 15° per side
me2
March 01, 2021 04:34AM
Will it go a bit lower or is that the limit?
March 01, 2021 06:53AM
It will do lower with taller Knifes but that was the limit at a given width. As already said in a precious Post it can go lower if you remove the plastic clip but that makes the backstop quite narrow which can lead to slipping off it, which can be slightly aleviated when you glue a magnet under the resting area of the knife.

There is also an addon for small knives that should enable lower angles but I dont have it as I nearly never use my Edgepro Apex anymore.
me2
May 07, 2021 02:17AM
I rebuilt the clone and have been sharpening the kitchen knives for practice. My plan is to get show off edges on my Endura and Cold Steel Voyager. I need a good very course rebeveling stone. I may order some Moldmasters in the 120 grit range. I’m using DMT 4” stones now. For rebeveling the coarse stones wear out quickly. That said, a worn coarse DMT finish is very sharp and extremely aggressive with the scratch patter angles for a pull stroke.
May 07, 2021 03:28PM
me2,
Try out the Venev OCB 1x6 combo stone set. They will fit an Edge Pro Apx and KME with the Edge Pro stone adapter. The coarse stones are super coarse, and the fine stones super fine.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter