Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chosera/Nan pro 2k

Posted by bricklayer 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Chosera/Nan pro 2k
April 20, 2021 05:23AM
I need some of the experienced water stone users to give me some advice. This is concerning a bevel setter for my straight razor. I actually just bought a Shapton pro 2k and I don't like it, the reason is because is scratches deep, meaning by the time I get to my Nan/12k it still leaves rogue scratches. It also loads up very quick and feels kinda gummy, not bad but in a way. The reason I bought it was because most everyone's benchmark for good bevels setter is Chosera 1k, and some guys said the shapton 2k pro is pretty close to a Chosera 1k.. Anyways I would like to know if anyone has any experience with the Chosera/Nan/2k. If so does it finish finer and faster than the Shapton 2k? I am also worried about cracking, although some people have issues while others don't. I would like to safe myself some grief and frustraion.. Shapton Pros don't play well with other some manufacturers stones. Every manufacturers grit system can vary a little. .

---Mike
Re: Chosera/Nan pro 2k
April 20, 2021 07:01AM
bricklayer
... just bought a Shapton pro 2k and I don't like it, the reason is because is scratches deep, meaning by the time I get to my Nan/12k it still leaves rogue scratches. It also loads up very quick and feels kinda gummy, not bad but in a way...

So firstly, in order to get the stone to start releasing abrasive and breaking down (so that the finish is a little finer, and it stops loading) you need to increase pressure.

Increase the force you’re using while putting the knife to the stone until it starts breaking down, then stay at that level of force. It might be helpful to have a kitchen scale under it in order to actually measure your force.

This might be a little tricky with a razor, just because the blades are so flexible and thin. But you’ll definitely need to increase pressure. Either by increasing force, like I described above, or by reducing the contact area while keeping the force the same. This will mean using a narrower bevel, but that’s not exactly a simple choice with a razor. The bevel width might be an “it is what it is” situation, I’m not sure.

I’m assuming that the razors you’re using are simple steels, stuff like AEB-L, mid or high carbon steel like 1095, 12c27, etc. Steel type and carbide volume will make a difference in how the stone behaves also.

Secondly, I think 2,000 to 12,000 is a pretty large jump in grit size. But I might have misunderstood your writing, perhaps there are other ones you use between the two.

Lastly, even when you do manage to get the stone to start breaking down and not loading, like you want and can achieve, that particular stone might still leave a relatively harsh scratch pattern. It might never produce the polish or whatever finish you’re looking for. Which doesn’t mean it’s entirely useless, though. A 2k stone that cuts relatively fast, for example, could be a really nice one for resetting edge bevels on kitchen or EDC knives that haven’t taken major damage but have simply gone dull through slow wear or deformation.
April 20, 2021 07:29AM
Yes my progression is Shapton pro 2k, Shapton glass 4k, 8k Nan/12k , sometimes I will throw in the 6k before the 8k.
April 20, 2021 07:57AM
Shapton Pros up to the 2k are rather coarse for the rated grit so that for example the Naniwa Pro 1k gets you a similar finish to the Shapton Pro 2k maybe a bit finer even.

As for the Naniwa Pro 2k it is one of the two stones I do not own in the Naniwa Pro line so I cant say anything about it besides I often read reports that it is prone to cracking.

A further option I can add to the mix is the green brick (aotoishi) from Naniwa or the smaller and cheaper/better available option the Traditional 2k which does not scratch deep and is still not a snail.
April 20, 2021 08:38AM
Yeah - it seems some have cracking issues and some folks do not?? Maybe just depend on where you live? Most of the folks that had cracking issues, didn't even soak the stones either. .

The 8k pro I had and sold it, it was rather coarse for an 8k..
April 21, 2021 09:31AM
The Pro 5k and 10K are also known as prone to cracking as is the 8k snow white I own and only the 8k has developed cracks after a few years now.
April 24, 2021 09:18AM
Well, I have a Naniwa SuperStone 400, Naniwa Chosera/Professional 1k, Naniwa Aotoshi 2k Green Brick of Joy, Naniwa 8k Fuji. I would recommend the Naniwa Chosera/Professional 1k.

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter
April 27, 2021 05:40AM
As he already has the Shapton Pro 2k that is quite close to the Naniwa Pro 1k in finenes that would be a bit of wasted money.

Though I do not have random depper scratches with either of these stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2021 06:29AM by marcs.
April 30, 2021 05:44AM
marcs,
Well didn't he say he didn't like the Shapton 2k? Or did I misread what was going on?

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage." -- Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing
"Life is GOOD", -- Stefan_Wolf, May His Memory Be A Blessing
WordPress YouTube Facebook Patreon Locals Instagram Twitter